1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Some Questions About PS3 CFW

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by light_x_dark, Dec 12, 2012.

1. light_x_dark

light_x_dark Well-Known Member

Hi, I just want to see if some things regarding installing CFW on PS3's are still the same as I remember, what with the lv0 keys being leaked and all. I tried looking up the info on other sites but I kinda got overwhelmed with new jargon I've never heard of so it made it a bit hard to sort through the information. :/

Any help is appreciated.

First, what are the most reliable methods of playing game backups on a PS3? Is kmeaw's CFW + multiman still a good choice?

We can install CFW on OFW higher than 3.55 now, right? What's the most recent OFW we can install CFW on? And do we still have to solder hardware flashers on our PS3's if we want to downgrade the OFW?

Also, since Sony's started banning CFW-installed consoles from PSN, are there any reliable methods of going undetected?

Oh, and anything on PS2 backwards compatibility? Is it still limited to older PS3's?

2. alexong96

alexong96 Well-Known Member

IMO, it's the most reliable method of getting CFW. I'd start with that firmware first before going anywhere else.

Yes, it's possible to install higher CFW. I don't know what the latest firmware is, but I reckon it's somewhere near 4.30. http://www.ps3hax.net/2012/12/release-rogero-cfw-4-30-v2-03-xmb-install-package-files-no-downgrade-needed/

Dunno about downgrading firmware, though. Sorry about that.

I'm not aware of the banning part. However, I read somewhere that people online can see what game/application you're on. So it may be a good idea to go offline before going to a homebrew.

Nada. You can still play PS1 backups by burning them into the CD and finding /dev_flash/ps1emu and pressing X on ps1_emu.self in Multiman. You can find ps2_emu.self, iirc. Although you can't use the same method like the PS1.

Anyway, did you try this site? http://www.ps3hax.net/
    Pretty helpful. Sometimes.

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Sony were unable to create a software based PS2 emulator that worked sufficiently well. Thats why BC was removed.

4. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

From what I understand, you need 3.55 kmeaw CFW or similar to be able to get to 4.30 CFW, and even then, I'm not aware of a fully working multiman or backup launcher. The caveat when 3.55 CFW first came out was that it was unable to play backups and only homebrew (and all of the 3.41 JB homebrew files were incompatible and needed re-signing). So far, to my knowledge, this is what 4.30 CFW is at the moment.

However, there's plenty of ways to crack the EBOOT files for them to work on 3.55 CFW so there's really no reason to upgrade. Also, since a program is out, you no longer have to wait for some scene release to crack the EBOOTs. This was also a pain since most of them required a USB dongle like True Blue.

Also, because you need 3.55 CFW as a base install, there's no way to get 4.30 CFW from a virgin console from what knowledge I've gathered. This may have changed but since my PS3's fried, I haven't kept up to date on PS3 stuff.

Any somewhat new versions of multiman have this function built in. Just insert the CD, start up Multiman and the disc icon should be there for you to select. It should do this automatically. I can't remember if I needed to install a random file to the PS3 directory for it to work (probably did).

5. light_x_dark

light_x_dark Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the info. After a bit more searching I still haven't found anything on downgrading without hardware flashers or avoiding detection on PSN so I'll just assume there haven't been any breakthroughs on them. Not too important right now anyway.

You don't know? Didn't Sony make an announcement about it? The 8002A231 error code?

Ah, I see. I was hoping something could be done now that there's more access to the hardware but I guess not. :/

6. alexong96

alexong96 Well-Known Member

I don't really go online. I don't have any reason to.

But as far as I've read right now, it seems that the error code is leaned more to online cheaters. I've seen little evidence that there's been banning because of the CFW. Still wouldn't take the chance, though.

7. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

Sony bans all CFW users that attempt to connect through PSN not because of the CFW, but because of the other software needed to workaround their little firmware block and connect to PSN.

It's somehow in direct violation of their terms of service. Not quite sure. I remember vaguely getting emailed about it.

If you want to play online, buy another PS3 and keep that one legit, otherwise, you're pretty much stuck with an offline-only hacked PS3 (which is largely the better option).