1. This forum is in read-only mode.

some kind of firewall

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by c740, Jun 8, 2009.

1. c740

c740 Well-Known Member

since most of us hacked here before maybe you guys should make a firewall like system for the board so they don't get hack by others.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

you obviously have no concept of what a firewall is.

3. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

:)

He must not be included in the "Most of us have hacked".

I doubt that even 1% of the users on this site actually know how to "hack". (And no, I don't mean modifying ROMs with patches and HEX edits, or modding your consoles and handhelds).

4. crazytuna

crazytuna Well-Known Member

Why the hell would we want to hack Romulation?
    We won't get roms anymore...

5. branraf

branraf Well-Known Member

^^^ Revenge ;)
    And i doubt many users here know how to hack. And is it even possile to "make a firewall for the board"? This is where seph comes in. He talks us through the safest forum to use and blah blah :D. As far as im aware this is the best free one to use right?
    How can you tell i don't really know what i'm on about :D
    But hacking isn't as straight forward as everyone thinks. Most hackers have a lifetime of experience with computers and they usually create the resources themselves.

6. Loonylion

Actually most hackers are stupid kids using stuff they've downloaded.

7. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Actually many wouldn't call those people hackers. :)

8. TirithRR

Those are called "Script Kiddies".

9. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

Aww, ninja'd.

10. crazytuna

crazytuna Well-Known Member

this might sound really noob
    but what's a firewall?

11. sexywogboy

sexywogboy Well-Known Member

It protects the PC from bad things. Like intruders and virus'.

12. Loonylion

an item of software or hardware that protects computers and/or networks from attacks by hostile people in a remote location.

sexywogboy: it doesn't protect from viruses, thats the job of the antivirus software.

13. TirithRR

Software, or sometimes Hardware, that blocks network access to/from Ports and/or Programs.

For the average internet user, software firewalls are not important. A Router gives sufficient protection (Hardware firewall). Some like to have them just to feel safer, but it's mostly a placebo effect. Antivirus, Anti-malware/spyware, and a proper, safe, internet browser are all you really need.

14. Loonylion

and a software firewall if your router doesn't have one or you use a modem.

15. sexywogboy

sexywogboy Well-Known Member

I thought so. But technically it does, if an intruder tries to hack into your PC, it will block the intruder...thus blocking a potential virus :p

16. TirithRR

But still, average users aren't going to be targeted by any outside source that would make them need a firewall. The vast majority of their threats will come from Malware and Viruses.

Software firewalls won't protect you from Viruses or Malware, because they generally infect programs that are already in your allowed list (like your Browser, or certain windows files).

17. Loonylion

Don't be so sure about that. Take a look at this:

[​IMG]

This shows how often my firewall (on a standard home broadband connection, nothing to make it a target) gets hit. Hackers don't just hit specific targets, they also scan for any vulnerable machines that they can compromise. Not having a firewall on the internet these days is asking for trouble.

The periods of no hits at all are when the internet connection is turned off overnight.

18. TirithRR

Yes, but how many of those hits are anything other than people looking for shared files? (And guess what happens if you have sharing disabled? They get shot down just like your firewall does).

19. Loonylion

virtually none, I am the network administrator here, and that is the border firewall. I rarely run utorrent as I have an external box running it. I could also post the 7 pages of IPs that have been blacklisted for trying to break in too many times.

20. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

I'll have to concur, I often log port scans or people trying to contact specific service ports such as mysql and various other programs that can be set up incorrectly. That said, it's also true that the RomUlation box gets a lot more hack attempts than my personal PC does.