1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Some ideas

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Spyder, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Spyder

Spyder Guest

These ideas are mostly based on the mods available for this forum...

I was browsing through them and saw some nice ones that could potentially make this place a bit more niftier 8)

User Comments:
    http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=436
    Let's other users add a comment to another user's profile. Sorta like a guestbook.

Ads Management:
    http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=255
    Yepp, the dreaded words, ads. I'm not sure where the administration stands on this but i dislike it intensely.
    However, i can take it if it means more revenue and more effort spent on the site and it's features.
    Hell, it'd also add another incentive to becoming a premium (or whatever you'd want to call it) member.

Bookmarking:
    http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=350
    I'd prefer to bookmark certain threads as i bookmark my favourite rss. It's a nice idea.

Shoutbox:
    Two alternatives. Either:
    http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=585
    or
    http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=412
    Either way, i dislike shoutboxes but some people might see it as a good thing. It'd also be another alternative to using a chatroom and would cut out pm's and we could communicate with guests too...

Arcade:
    http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=36
    My favourite of course. Games! Who doesn't want to play games in a game-related forum?!

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I will discuss these with seph. While I am in charge of the forum, seph is in overall control, and the site is heavily integrated with the forum code-wise, so I would not want to risk messing that up by installing something without prior consultation. In the meantime, can other people comment on these suggestions?

3. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

While I do want romulation to have a great community I don't want it to become myspace, so the comments probably aren't going to happen. Ads management probably will happen sooner or later, but at the moment the forum doesn't really get a whole lot of traffic, and most of it are from members and search engines so the point of having ads is pretty redundant as regulars and search engines don't click ads very often. :)

The bookmarking idea sounds nice, shoutboxes are hard to control, temporary messages and such, I don't see that happening at this point, I can be persuaded on this one though.

We will take these into consideration; but don't expect anything before the entirely new version, we have stuff fixed now and working nicely, so the next time we update it will be big.

4. Spyder

Spyder Guest

Yeah, i wasn't too fuzzy on the shoutbox or the ads either :p

I do look forward to the new feature, as we can have more and better stuff on it =)
    If there's anything i can do to help it, let me know :)

5. Loonylion

You could give us a lot of money, say 50k USD each :p j/k

one really good way you could help is giving roms genres, the new site will be searchable by genre, so the more roms that have genres assigned, the better it will work :)

6. Spyder

Spyder Guest

Alrighty tighty, i'll get to work on that then :)

P.S
    I'm a poor student trying to live in 30 quid a week (around 50ish dollar). You guys aren't THAT good i'd give up my entire "fortune" :p

7. Seph

Yet anyway.

8. Loonylion

30 quid a week... *drools* i'm trying to live off £20 per week and struggling :(

9. nomercy

nomercy Well-Known Member

Basic scholarship: 250 euro/month + Free Public Transit (mo - fr)
    Loan: 80 euro/month (3%)
    Work: 170 euro/month (writing evaluation reports)
    -------
    Total In: 500 euro/month

Rent: 250 euro/month (incl. energy/internet/insurance/anything appartment related)
    Health Insurance: 105 euro/month
    City Taxes: 500 euro/year = 42 euro/month
    -------
    Total Out: 397

Above are the most simple (income and) expenses I have at the moment, leaving me with about 100 euro/month = 25 euro/week. I still have to pay for my study (basically 120euro/month, only it's a yearly fee), buy the books, eat and pay my contact lenses.

10. Seph

Income:
    -------------------
    Scholarship: $200 USD/Month
    RomUlation: $100 USD/Month (so far, hard to determine as it varies from day to day)

Expenses
    -------------------
    RomUlation: $150 USD/Month

I leech off of my parents for living expenses so not much there, so basically there's the odd item I buy once in a while. (such as the Wii)

11. Loonylion

income:
    ---------

disability living allowance: £232.60/month
    incapacity benefit: £380/month

expenses:
    ------------------

Pension: £78/month
    driving lessons: £40/week = £160/month
    web hosting: £18/month
    mobile internet contract: £18/month
    mobile phone bill: ~ £12/month
    auction sniping: $8.99USD/month = ~ £4.50/month
    lioness adoption: £24/year = £2/month
    internet at parent's house: £7.50/month
    and any others I cant think of

I try to live off £20/week living expenses, then save the rest, but its kinda difficult cos things have a habit of going wrong :(

12. nomercy

nomercy Well-Known Member

Why do you have a mobile internet contract? And why do you have web hosting of 18 pounds/month? Plus you don't need a driving licence.... it's a commodity, as is the car that you will have to buy in order to make any use of it.

13. Spyder

Spyder Guest

Sheesh, i thought i had it tough with my economy :p

14. Loonylion

I have mobile internet cos the idiots at my university can't run servers that don't break down every other weekend. I'm using it now, actually. The web hosting is a mid-range reseller account with a british company, I've been let down by too many cheap US based companies. I need a driving license to prove my age to be able to buy 18-rated DVDs and alcohol, because my physical appearance is that of a kid (Im 4 foot 10 inches, or 147cm tall). Even when I provide acceptable proof age, the retailers always spend ages examining it, as if they're determined to prove its fake. I find that really embarrassing. :( In addition, having a driving license can make you more attractive to prospective employers :)

15. Spyder

Spyder Guest

And with the right cars, the ladies too ;)

Oh, wait, sorry i read how short you were :p

16. Seph

A drivers license is a must, saves you a lot of money when the cops pulls you over and asks for it!

17. Spyder

Spyder Guest

The cup? :D

18. Seph

*cops

I declare insanity at the moment of the crime!

19. Spyder

Spyder Guest

Which crime? Stupidity or being as ugly as you are? :D

20. Loonylion

both WII