1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Some harsh news about the US, and the internet T_T

Discussion in 'General News' started by Tomoka, Sep 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

So today when i went to demonoid, i found some news on the top of the page...

[quote author=Demonoid headline news]
    COICA

In the United States, a new law proposal called The Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act (COICA) was introduced last week, and there will be a hearing in front of the Judiciary Committee this Thursday.

If passed, this law will allow the government, under the command of the media companies, to censor the internet as they see fit, like China and Iran do, with the difference that the sites they decide to censor will be completely removed from the internet and not just in the US.

Please see the following article from the Huffington Post for more information.

Stop the Internet Blacklist

And if you are a US citizen, please take the time to sign this petition
    DemandProgress.org - Petition to Stop the Internet Blacklist![/quote]
    so what do you guys think of this lil' bit of bullshit?
    if you want more info, or to sign a petition against it, go here: http://demandprogress.org/blacklist/coica

MODS/admins, i hope you don't remove this because of the petition, we need as many people to sign it as possible! This site may become blacklisted in the US!!!! even sites hosted outside the US can be blacklisted! T_T

2. tehuber1337

tehuber1337 Well-Known Member

LOLOLOL HOW DO YOU LIKE THEM APPLES

But even if I were American (and assuming I understand the bill correctly), I wouldn't be particularly worried about this. Firstly, the blacklist will be publicly available (unlike a certain other first world nation's proposed filter...). Secondly, the bill targets domain name registrations. If you happen to know a site's IP address for some reason, you'll be fine. Thirdly, it's an open(-ish) process facilitated mainly by the judicial system (again, unlike a certain other first world nation's proposed filter). That means that if someone wants a site blocked, they have to take action (whereas in the aforementioned other country, politicians can manipulate the blacklist as they want). Appeals against injunctions can also be made if a site no longer offends (the bill also allows this on grounds of "the interests of justice", which is reassuring).

For sites not registered in the US, they can prevent it from catering to US citizens by targeting any US-based services such as financial transaction providers or advertisers that the site may use, in addition to stopping address resolution at the ISP level. I find it odd that these measures have been proposed for international websites but not domestic ones, since they seem to be aware that merely blocking address resolution won't be enough to achieve their goals.

Of course, it's not like I agree with what the bill proposes, I'm just saying that it's not as bad as...another country's...

Oh, and Demonoid is wrong, offending websites can't be "completely removed from the internet".

3. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

well i know that much -.-" but they can have ISP's block them D=

4. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Seeing as America is generally more knowledgeable than China when it comes to the internet, I'm assuming if this bill gets passed they will be more able to screen/filter/censor internet content than China did. However, just like with China, a lot of internet crackers could easily "fix" this bullshit up.

5. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

like how??? i might need to know >:D

6. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

it seems internet nazi have join the rank of the us goverment. as soon as the bill pass, the golden age of the internet will be over, a new dark age will begin.

7. personuser

personuser Well-Known Member

This is gonna be another cat-and mouse game just like the new PS3 hacks and Sony's Court orders.

Wonder what we're gonna think of first?

8. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

they can't block sites hosted outside the US to viewers outside the US. They also cannot remove sites hosted outside of the US.

9. dills2

dills2 Well-Known Member

fuck usa government dont shut it down for the rest of the world though i think theyl only really get rid of photobombers on the 911 picture

10. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

I'm disinclined to believe that the issue is as severe as is being made out, especially considering the furore over the "internet killswitch" which was actually a bill to allow for the shutting down of highly specific federal infrastructure in the event of a hacker attack. I'll read the proposed bill once I'm properly lucid and do that thing I do with legislation where I break it down into tiny little bite-sized pieces that 90% of you guys ignore anyway.

Man, why do I even post at all, trying to educate you mouthbreathers is like pissing in the Pacific Ocean. The only ones who'll actually read this and take it on board are the ones who already have their doubts about it and don't need me to explain it to them.

11. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

thing is, this site has quite a few "copyright infringement" pieces, and i'm INSIDE the US T_T

12. DoktorP

DoktorP Active Member

some of us are unable to read the bill for one reason or another but would still like to know a 'play by play'of it (similar to the healthcare reform bill (as of to date i only know of one of a handfull of people who have read it in its entirety))

13. do1

do1 Member

I think this will affect everyone one way or another, so it's crucial that people sign the petition.

14. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Your posts are highly informative and I love your posts. Your posts, yum yum, your posts are like Sunny D and Rum.

So yeah, that bill sucks, I don't want it passed. Basically, if the US passes this bill, chances are that Canada's government is going to make something similar to this.

Canada sucks for this reason, being the US' bitch in terms of laws and bills. :\

15. DoktorP

DoktorP Active Member

:D i'm glad someone finally admitted it from the northern side of the border!!! (now it can't be counted as 'racist' to joke about Canada in such ways :D ) ...i kid...i kid...

16. Suiseiseki

Your posts are pretty awesome too. Including your Facebook ones.

I don't do massively insightful looks into large non-technical pieces of American legislation unless it has the chance of affecting me directly. And the healthcare bill doesn't (anymore, I did my scholarship application paper on the political ramifications) because I'm not an American. When I get some time I will hunt down the text of this bill and correct any false assumptions that have been made in this thread. I can't promise TOO much in terms of overall impact because I'm not familiar with existing laws and suchlike.

But I'm not doing that now because I'm on holiday, so anyone who wants anything but abuse from me can go fuck themselves with a rake. And if you wanted abuse from me, well, go fuck yourself with a rake too I guess?

17. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

I wouldn't mine fucking myself with a rake.

18. Suiseiseki

oh u

19. tehuber1337

tehuber1337 Well-Known Member

I've beaten you to the punch again, and yet nobody seems to care ;_;

20. DoktorP

DoktorP Active Member

I wouldn't mind seeing this happen.
    Post Merge: [time]1285904403[/time]
    where did you get a copy of the bill?

Thread Status: