1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Soft Mod Wii Guide [Current for 4.0 and under]

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by Tezuka101, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Tezuka101

Tezuka101 Active Member

• OOPS, CAN A MOD PLEASE MOVE THIS TO THE RIGHT SECTION? THANKS. :X

Since I have been doing guides for emulation, I thought I would show how to do other things with consoles etc. The guide will change/update as the Wii scene grows.

NOTE: Before trying this, make sure your Wii is updated to the latest firmware.
      NOW COMPATIBLE WITH 4.0E/U!

Hack Method 1 (3.3 and under)

[​IMG]

Here is a guide to show you how to install Virtual Console games and Wiiware on an un-modded Wii.

What you will need:
      • An SD Card
      • SD card reader
      • Legend of Zelda: Twlight Princess - Wii version
      • Legend of Zelda: Twlight Princess save hack (see downloads)
      • A Gamecube Controller
      • WAD Installer v2 (check post downloads)

Part I: Twilight Princess Hack Preparation
      • Format your SD card to FAT16 or FAT32.
      • Download the Twilight hack game saves and choose the correct file corresponding to your version of Twilight Princess. Put the proper game save file on your SD card in a directory called “/private/wii/title/RZDx/” on your SD card, replacing “RZDx” with RZDE, RZDP or RZDJ as appropriate (See table at the bottom of the post to figure out which one to use).
      • Rename the game save to “data.bin”.
      • Download the WAD installer v2.1 homebrew and extract the “wad-installer.elf” file to the root directory of the SD card. Note that this is the latest version which drops Wii remote support and supports multiple WADs.
      • Rename the “wad-installer.elf” to “boot.elf”.

Part II: WAD Preparation
      • Create a folder called “wad” in the root directory of your SD card.
      • Get some WADs. These are the data files that contain virtual console or Wiiware games that are normally bought from the Wii Shop channel. One WAD file represents one virtual console game.
      • Copy every virtual console game and Wiiware WAD you wish to install as a channel in your Wii menu to the “wad” folder. You can fill up your Wii’s internal memory quickly if you try to install every WAD in existence, so be picky and choose only the games you will play.

Part III: WAD Installation
      • Now, put the SD card into your Wii and turn it on. Go into Wii Options --> Data Management --> Save Data --> Wii. Find your Zelda save, click on it, click "Erase" (If you want to keep your save, copy it onto your SD card before placing the WAD insaller etc onto it), and click Yes.
      • Open the SD card and select the "Twilight Hack" save. The icon should say "Wiibrew Loader". Click copy and then yes. Now exit out of the menu.
      • Insert The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess game disc and run the game.
      • Load the hacked save game and either walk backwards or talk to the man directly in front of you. This starts the Trucha exploit and loads the WAD installer.
      • Attach a Gamecube controller to navigate the homebrew.
      • Let the program run and follow the on screen prompts to load the WAD installer.
      • Reset your Wii by pressing the reset button or using the Gamecube controller and sit back as each WAD gets installed onto your Wii. When this step is done, your Wii will reset itself.
      • Now when you go to your Wii channel menu, you should see the new virtual console channels which you should now be able click and play as if you had downloaded them.

Hack Method 2 (Recent)

[​IMG]

What you will need:
      • An SD Card
      • SD card reader
      • The Bannerbomb software (see downloads)
      • The file you want to boot (Homebrew Channel/bootmii as the example)
      • A Gamecube Controller (Optional)
      • 5 Minutes

Part I: Bannerbomb Preparation
      • Format your SD card to FAT16 or FAT32 (move current files off the card if you do not want them to be deleted).
      • Download the Bannerbomb software.
      • There should be a folder named "private", place that folder on the root of the SD card.
      • Download the homebrew channel, rename to "boot.elf/dol" (depending on the extension it has) and move it to the root of the SD Card.
      • Take out the SD Card ready for the next step.

Part II: Booting up the homebrew

NOTE: Before starting this step, it has been advised to switch off Nintendo24.
      • Turn on your Wii and go into the settings.
      • Next, goto Data Management -> Channels. Click on on the SD Card tab, a window should pop-up along the lines of "load boot.dol/elf?", or it may say something different if you are installing the Homebrew Channel. Click Yes to start the Homebrew.

Your Wii homebrew should now be successfully loaded!

Part III: Installing the Homebrew Channel
      • After following the bannerbomb method, a warning message should pop-up along with the installation menu. The menu will show you can install the Homebrew Channel plus the other features with it by showing "PASSED" in green.
      • After it has tested what you can install (and you can install the Homebrew Channel), click "Install Homebrew Channel", this should only take a few seconds.
      • (Optional Step) After installing the Homebrew Channel, install DVDX to allow homebrew to use the Wii's DVD drive when needed. You can also install BootMii, which can be used to make Wii boot straight to a piece of homebrew i.e. Homebrew Channel, instead of going to the usual Wii menu.

You now have the Homebrew Channel installed on your 4.0 Wii!

The Backup Channel

[​IMG]

What you will need:
      • An SD Card
      • SD card reader
      • The Homewbrew Channel installed
      • DVDx installed (see bannerbomb tutorial for more details)
      • WAD Manager (see downloads)
      • A Gamecube Controller (Optional)
      • Another 5 Minutes

Part I: SD Card preparation
      • Download the WAD Manager and Backup Channel WAD.
      • Create a folder on the root of the card and call it "apps".
      • Extract the WAD Manager to the "apps" folder on your SD card.
      • Create a folder called "wad" on the root of your SD card.
      • Extract the Backup Channel WAD into the "wad" folder. You may want to rename the wad into something more simple such as "1.wad" just in case.
      • Take out the SD Card ready for the next step.

Part II: Installing the WAD
      • Insert the SD Card into the Wii
      • Turn on your Wii.
      • Start the Homebrew Channel, if you only have the WAD Manager in the apps folder, it should be the only thing selectable in the channel.
      • Start the WAD Manager
      • READ THE TERMS AND AGREEMENT and press Reset or A on a Gamecube Controller to accept.
      • After the WAD has been successfully installed, it should take you back to the main Wii menu or Homebrew Channel.
      • Check if the channel has been added to the Wii Menu

You now have the Wii Backup Channel loader!

NOTE: If you are having problems installing the Backup Channel, follow the guide HERE on how to get around it

Twilight Princess save versions:

Europe/Australia RVL-RZDP-0A-0 JPN rzdp0.bin
      Asia RVL-RZDJ-0A-0 JPN rzdj0.bin
      America RVL-RZDE-0A-0 JPN rzde0.bin
      America RVL-RZDE-0A-0 USA rzde0.bin
      America RVL-RZDE-0A-2 USA rzde2.bin

FAQ:

Q. Will this brick my Wii?
      A. If you do it right, it will not brick your Wii. Make sure you follow each instruction.

Q. Do the WADs have to be the same region as my Wii?
      A. YES. If you have an NTSC Wii, use NTSC WADs and vice versa for PAL. The only exception is for Region Free WADs, which will work on any Wii.

Q. The menu is saying I have to free space, but I can't figure out how to do it!
      A. Don't worry, it means you installed too many WADs and the wii memory is full. Goto the memory menu and delete a few channels.

Q. Have you tried this? Does it work without changing anything?
      A. I have tried this and the modded Wii hack, they both work without and problems!

Q. Will Nintendo notice the installed channels?
      A. Only if you try to download the channels you installed, so don't do that.

Q. Can you be banned from the Shop Channel?
      A. Their is no proof to show that this can happen as of yet.

Q. I have a Micro SD card with an SD adapter, will that work too?
      A. Aslong they are formatted to FAT32, they will work perfectly.

Downloads:

Bannerbomb
      Twilight Hack
      WAD Manager
      HackMii + Homebrew Channel
      Backup Channel

Credits:

"Team Twiizers" - Homebrew Channel, DVDX and BootMii

Comex - Bannerbomb

If you need any help with this, just post and I'll help you anyway I can!

2. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

Bravo. Nice, clearly laid out, legible and thorough, though you haven't covered the Trucha Bug Restorer if the Wii is newer and has 4.0 for whatever reason.

3. Tezuka101

Tezuka101 Active Member

Thanks!

Also, this guide is about 3-4 months old, so it needs to be heavily updated. I will be updating it soon along with an added homebrew essential pack (for people who install the Homebrew Channel) soon. :)

4. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

You now have my full attention.