1. This forum is in read-only mode.

SNES emulation possible on the DS?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Xalfrea, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Xalfrea

Xalfrea Well-Known Member

So here's the lowdown:

A while back before Sonic Classic Collection came on the DS, I remember considering the option of Genesis emulation, and I remember seeing a program for such a thing on the DS.

Recently, I've become rather nostalgic, and this time I'm considering trying the SNES instead. Since the Genesis has emulation on the DS, does the SNES also have a similar program?

2. Ratchet2325

Ratchet2325 Well-Known Member

http://www.zophar.net/consoles/nds/snes.html

4 SNES emulators for DS

3. Xalfrea

Alright thanks.

I checked the readme of the SNEmulDSv06a, and AK2i isn't among the supported. Should it work?

Finally, the last point is of course finding the games. Where would one find SNES roms that can be played on the DS?

4. Ratchet2325

Ratchet2325 Well-Known Member

I'm not too sure if it'll work since i don't have my AK2i yet.
    you can find roms here
    http://www.coolrom.com/roms/snes/

5. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

SNEmulDS barely works and has awful compatibility. I would just skip it if I were you. Stick to emulating SNES on your computer, or get one of those Dingo or Dingoo or w/e machines.

6. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

SNEmulDS is actually pretty decent.

Dingoo.

7. LuckyTrouble77

The Gemei A330, based off the Dingoo A330 seems to be a slightly better machine fixing issues that the DingooA330 had. I want to get my hands on that.

For SNEmulDS, it just has too many issues for me to appreciate. The Supercard team has already proven that a better emulator isn't too terribly difficult, so I don't understand why this emulator was left in such a beta like state.

8. Xalfrea

Er...yeah, after about 30 minutes with it and trying out some games (DKC2, Mario All Stars, SuperSF2, Star Fox, Castlevania IV), I gave up.

The sound was glitchy, graphics were glitchy, screen was glitchy, all in all I had a pretty lousy time.

Then what would make SNES emulation better on the PC?

9. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

because the supercard has its own hardware that can be used and that the creators know how to program for.

10. LuckyTrouble77

SNES PC emulation is basically perfect. Not a lot of problems remain. I prefer SNESx9 myself.

Fair enough. I just wish somebody that knew what they were doing had taken the time to get the DS SNES emulator to a workable place vs where it was left at.

11. Xalfrea

Does Genesis, NES or GBA emulation on the DS fall under the same thing? I'm considering other options. And while I'll take your word for it and try SNES emulation on the PC, it would be nice to have it portable.

12. LuckyTrouble77

I understand that, but the only way to have a somewhat portable SNES emulator is to get a Supercard DSTwo and use the better SNES emulator exclusively for it. The other way is the one mentioned above (the Dingoo or Gemei devices).

nesDS is an incredible NES emulator for the DS. Pick that one up, it works 100% of the time from my personal experience using it with no errors.

GBA emulation requires a slot 2 device such as the EZ Flash 3in1 on DS Phat's and DS lites. For the DS, there are some carts made just to run GBA games, but I find those to be a waste of money really (questionable compatibility among other things). The Supercard DSTwo has a built in, slot 1 GBA emulator that is progressing nicely, but is far from perfect. Once again, the Dingoo and Gemei A330 both offer GBA emulation, but also once again, not sure how good it is, as I don't own of those devices.

For Genesis, there is a really good emulator that I forget the name of, but should be easy to find. It isn't perfect and has minor scaling issues, but it isn't a big deal. It will run most games you would want to play fairly well.

13. Xalfrea

Dang, I need a GBA flash cart then? I highly doubt I'd find those in my area (Using a DSLite by the way).

I might try NES and Genesis. My main issue is the fact that my experience with those two is somewhat limited. SNES was really the only 90's console I played.

But thanks for the help anyway. I wonder why they never attempted to perfect the SNES emulation.