1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Sleep disorders - do you have one?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by crimson089, Nov 19, 2009.

1. crimson089

crimson089 Well-Known Member

The most common sleep disorders include (thanks to wiki):

Primary insomnia: Chronic difficulty in falling asleep and/or maintaining sleep when no other cause is found for these symptoms.

Bruxism: Involuntarily grinding or clenching of the teeth while sleeping

Delayed sleep phase syndrome (DSPS): inability to awaken and fall asleep at socially acceptable times but no problem with sleep maintenance, a disorder of circadian rhythms.

Hypopnea syndrome: Abnormally shallow breathing or slow respiratory rate while sleeping

Narcolepsy: Excessive daytime sleepiness (EDS) often culminating in falling asleep spontaneously but unwillingly at inappropriate times.

Cataplexy, a sudden weakness in the motor muscles that can result in collapse to the floor.

Night terror, Pavor nocturnus, sleep terror disorder: abrupt awakening from sleep with behavior consistent with terror

Parasomnias: Disruptive sleep-related events involving inappropriate actions during sleep stages - sleep walking and night-terrors are examples.

Periodic limb movement disorder (PLMD): Sudden involuntary movement of arms and/or legs during sleep, for example kicking the legs. Also known as nocturnal myoclonus.

Rapid eye movement behavior disorder (RBD): Acting out violent or dramatic dreams while in REM sleep

Restless legs syndrome (RLS): An irresistible urge to move legs. RLS sufferers often also have PLMD.

Situational circadian rhythm sleep disorders: shift work sleep disorder (SWSD) and jet lag

Obstructive sleep apnea: Obstruction of the airway during sleep, causing lack of sufficient deep sleep; often accompanied by snoring. Other forms of sleep apnea are less common.

Sleep paralysis is characterized by temporary paralysis of the body shortly before or after sleep. Sleep paralysis may be accompanied by visual, auditory or tactile hallucinations. Not a disorder unless severe. Often seen as part of Narcolepsy.

Sleepwalking or somnambulism: Engaging in activities that are normally associated with wakefulness (such as eating or dressing), which may include walking, without the conscious knowledge of the subject.

Nocturia: A frequent need to get up and go to the bathroom to urinate at night. It differs from Enuresis, or bed-wetting, in which the person does not arouse from sleep, but the bladder nevertheless empties.

Somniphobia, a dread of sleep

so... anyone has experienced any of these? I kept ignoring my sleepiness and nightmares cuz i thought it was normal but it happens to me a lot, so i did some research and found out i had narcolepsy (about 1 out of every 2000 people is known to have this) which includes sleep paralysis (awake but still asleep). i thought i might need help or something...
    http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/exchange/node/1740

for more info: http://www.sleepeducation.com/

2. koyuchan

koyuchan Well-Known Member

Err, no, but I'm a type of person that get sleepy oftenly,wherever I am --a
    bad habit

3. Fragata

Fragata Well-Known Member

Primary insomnia: Chronic difficulty in falling asleep and/or maintaining sleep when no other cause is found for these symptoms.

Definitely, i always struggle to fall asleep unless it is like 11 or later

very helpful at lans btw

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I think I have a combination of primary insomnia and dsps.

5. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

I suffer quite heavily from DSPS, luckily it's on and off. Sometimes I sleep normal hours but quite often I live in a US timezone instead of my standard CET timezone.

6. 1prinnydood

1prinnydood Guest

I have RLS and PLMD, have had them for 25 years, not good. Skull cap + valerian helps a little, the odd smoke of cannabis helps allot.

Edit: I guess I should have said that I am not suggesting anyone who has RLS should go and break the law to gain some relief, I have not smoked cannabis in years, but in the past it has helped me, that does not mean it will help you.

7. crimson089

crimson089 Well-Known Member

i'm not sure if my narcolepsy & sleep paralysis are mild. scientific explanation behind it is quite convincing but i don't understand why demons are always present in my nightmares. i'm not obsessed or possessed, i'm not scared and actually used to it, i know it's only a dream but i couldn't wake up, unable to move. i don't understand why it's always demons, it could have been pikachu dressed as a zombie. This happens exactly about 10 minutes right after the start of my night sleep.

then i always make sure to get some 8-hours sleep (9 could be better). however, i still have this sleepiness during daytime and i can feel myself at normal during afternoon onwards. the worst is i cannot control myself if i had only 6-hours sleep (or 5 below), i can fall sleep involuntarily and skip all the train stations. i remember the most embarrassing moment i've encountered is when i fall asleep on someone's shoulder and my friends laughed at me instead of waking me up. jerks. good thing the man was kind enough and told me after i woke up, "you must be really tired".

anyway, i know this isn't the place but if anyone knows some kind of remedy, pls pm me. thanks!

8. Rysio

Rysio Well-Known Member

I was sleep-walking few years ago :p Waking up in other place you fell asleep is just scary :p
    Fortunately, it stopped :)

...or that's what I think ???

9. Cillranchello

Cillranchello Active Member

Technically I guess I have primary insomnia, since I only sleep for 3-4 hours a night, but I just think I'm wired a little differently. I have control of all my faculties and don't display common traits of sleep deprevation.

10. MadmanNero

MadmanNero Well-Known Member

Lets see according to this list I have:

Bruxism

PLMD

RLS

RBD (not very often but it has happened)

some form of sleep apnea (Actually seen a DR for that and I am supposed to be using a C-PAP but I lost it thanks to loss of insurance long story that I am not going into.)

Sleep paralysis (I hate that shit! lucky it doen't happen very often was more often when I was younger)

11. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

I don't have any of those.

12. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

I have this weird thing where I tend to make a particular repetitive hand movement whilst in REM.

I'm not complaining though.

13. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Primary insomnia
    Bruxism
    Restless legs syndrome

I'm not diagnosed but it explains alot why my tightly made bed is always all over the room next day (pillow out the door, sheets on the floor...).

It seems I have syptoms of these, I know my mother has a case of "Situational circadian rhythm sleep disorders"

I had it for a bit-that's what happens when your working past 12am for weeks on end...

Graveyard shifts suck.

14. frebels

frebels Well-Known Member

I get the same weird nightmare almost ever week where I lose something.
    I never know what I lost then wake up in total panic.