1. This forum is in read-only mode.

show the game

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by gameboy5.0, Oct 10, 2008.

1. gameboy5.0

gameboy5.0 Well-Known Member

ok from this i mean show some screen pictures. ok here what i mean. there are games out there that i rember playing but cant think of the name. proplem is then i cant find it. i thinkn that when u looking up a game next to the name of the game sould be the picture or some picture showing what it is.so that way people are not think "man is this it nope dang it!!" and are saying "i cant think of the name o wait there it is i rember that picture

2. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

We do have screenshots, its up to users to upload screenshots for games. Most of the popular games have screenshots, its the retro sections that really dont have many.

3. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

We already allow screenshots, they require that users submit them though. We can't add them ourselves since we have too much work to do with the site already.

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

If I'm understanding this right, the request is to show a screenshot in the rom list, in which case it's not happening. The subject had come up in one of my many conversations with Seph and the outcome was that it would put too much load on the server.

5. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Maybe if you keep your cursor on the game link for a few seconds, a thumbnail of the game images will pop up. Could be gay.

6. Seph

That requires some fancy javascript calls ("ajax") otherwise we'd still have to check if a screenshot exist for each of the game in the list.

7. gaynorvader

gaynorvader Well-Known Member

you could make a default "no screenshot available" screenshot on all games without screenshots. again, a lot of work :(

8. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

we have one, the issue is the number of filesystem calls required to display them.

9. Seph

For each game we have to check if the screenshot exists or not, only way this is really feasible is with a lot of caching. We'd most likely need to upgrade the amount of RAM we have for that though.

So perhaps next time we move our server. :p

10. gaynorvader

Ah, no, I don't mean check realtime. I meant, put a small image with all games, that you can zoom in on, or opens a new tab to bigger screenshots. it's still a lot of work for some minor functionality.

11. Seph

We still have to check.

We can't just display an image that doesn't exist, so therefore we have to check for a screenshot for each game in the list.

12. gaynorvader

I'm not sure how the games are stored, are they represented by classes or structs or something, because if they are it'd be easy enough to put a member variable containing the screen shot.

13. Seph

database entry and a file on the server. I suppose we could put a hasScreenshot field into the table, would have to write a script to parse the current screenshots though.

It's not something I'll prioritize, but I'll keep it in mind.

14. gaynorvader

Although, it would be nice if you could tell whether or not a game had a screenshot without having to go into it. I was thinking of posting up a few, but kept finding games that already had screenshots in them. It was kinda annoying.