1. This forum is in read-only mode.

should i call my ISP and be a bitch? :P

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tomoka, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

Okay, I am paying for 3 MB/s speed...well..WTH! My max download speed is around 325 KB/s! So should i call my ISP and bitch? Does anyone think they will give me my full speed if i do? cuz this is really pissing me off...

2. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

I pay for 3mb/s but get a lot less than you.
    The advertised speed is the maximum possible speed, not what you wil actually get.

3. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

but still, it's in the contract i will get a download speed of 3 MB/s and an upload speed of 782 KB/s...maybe i should add that to the first post -.-"

4. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Let me get this straight, your internet speed is 3Mbps, right?

And your download speeds are at 325kbps?

I don't see anything wrong there, download speeds can never really be the same as your max internet speed if that's what you're asking about.

5. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

i dunno my internet speed, just the speeds stated in my contract which are mentioned above :p but still..faster download speed, equal to what they said i would be downloading at, would be nice...

also forgot to mention...my download speed may max at 325 KB/s, but me upload sped maxes at 702 KB/s ??????

6. MadmanNero

MadmanNero Well-Known Member

I hate both of you. I can only afford 1.5mb which nets me about 209KB/s, but when I first signed up I would only get about 97KB/s fought with it for about a month and I finally called them and turns out I was on the wrong tier.

7. msg2009

You won't get anywhere by calling my brother tried, they told him to get new better phone lines, better router, don't use an extension etc etc. tbh it did speed up a bit after he got new lines put in.
    They advertise the maximum possible speed, nobody actually gets it.

8. Cahos Rahne Veloza

It doesn't work like what you've been led to think actually.

Download speeds are often 20 percent of your actual internet speed & not exactly it.

Take for example my current internet speed & download speed. My net speed is at 768kbps & my fastest download speed (here at RomUlation) is somewhere between 80~90kbps max.

9. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

hmmm...guess there is no use in calling them then T_T if i raise my speed by another 3 MB/s, does that mean i'll get like 650 KB/s download speed? >:D

10. personuser

personuser Well-Known Member

You're confusing INTERNET SPEED with TRANSFER RATE. Transfer rate is usually about 1/7th-1/10th of browsing speed. So with 768k you'll get about 90-100 kb/s and with 3 mibs you'll get anywhere from 300kb to 400kb.

11. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

interesting T_T wanna answer me question above you?

12. Cahos Rahne Veloza

More or less, but why would you want more internet speed anyway?

3mbps is enough as it is.

LOL!

I did a test download using a file I downloaded over at RomUlation's download servers just now & sadly, I only got a maximum peak download speed of 63kbps... I guess my net's currently at its lowest.

13. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

i download lotsa stuffs >.> i get tired of waiting for the torrents/downloads to finish T_T i figure, double the speed, half the time >:D even a gamecube download from romU take about an hour and a half T_T

14. personuser

Most ISPs Just go 768k, 1.5 mibs, 3 mibs, 10 mibs, so you'd probably have to pay lots more. You'd get around 1 mib Transfer Rate though :D

15. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

hmmm... AT&T has 1.5, 3, and 6 T_T if they had 10, i would bought it already!!! so how high of a transfer rate will 6 gimme?

16. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Sadly we still have 386kbps & 512kbps internet providers as well as 56k modem providers here in my country LOL!

17. personuser

About 600-650kb/s...If the server you're dling from allows it.

18. msg2009

LOL! I had 56k dial up in about 1997, took half an hour to get a snes game.
    Webpages take about 30 seconds to load I couldn't cope with it.

19. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

they do >.> who wouldn't?!?! <.<
    but that is still a lil' slow T_T my school gets a download speed of 8 MB/s, i know, i downloaded something on their computers >.>

i HATE dial-up >.>

20. personuser

some sites like megaupload, rapidshare, even romu itself limits your speed if ya don't buy premium.