1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Should I buy a Playstation 3?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by usernameladiesman217, Apr 15, 2011.

1. usernameladiesman217

usernameladiesman217 Well-Known Member

Well my first paycheck is coming up and it's not much it covers a little more than enough to buy a new playstation 3 and a game.

But I was wondering if it's even worth it. It's been 4 years since I owned a console and that was a Playstation 2 which I had chipped.

I could either buy a different console or upgrade my pc. I'm not sure what to do, I was thinking of getting a 3DS, but I've played less than 5 games legally in my whole life and I don't exactly look forward to spending 1/4 of my paycheck on a video game that I'll clock in a weekend.

How does the 3DS hold up graphically against other consoles?

Your thoughts?

2. 10tarik10

10tarik10 Well-Known Member

If this was my decision then yeah I would definitely buy a ps3

but that's just cause I love it and all my friends have one

3. personuser

personuser Well-Known Member

How old are you?

If you're still just doing small work in your free time, like mcdonalds JUST to get a little extra spending cash, then I'd say buy a PS3. You can hack them too, but it might boot you off of PSN. It's up to you. Upgrading your PC is nice, but unless it's absolute shit, not really necessary; keep super gaming graphics on the gaming consoles, I say.

If you're actually doing work for an overall GOAL (e.g. saving for college, actually paying bills) then I'd say don't buy any of that stuff right away. After you save a certain amount/pay all of your bills, put the remainder in a seperate place. Every month, add in your remainders, and eventually, you'll have enough for a PS3 without sacrificing paying for things you actually NEED.

4. usernameladiesman217

I'm studying and working at the moment.

I study at work lol.

5. kenny6457

kenny6457 Well-Known Member

save for NGP

6. lewis9191

lewis9191 Well-Known Member

Try stating a reason instead of just voicing your opinion :)

I would go for the xbox or ps3, personally I went for the xbox due to my friends owning that console. I really done think the exclusive games arnt much difference but it seems ps3 are getting better games recently$

Overall I think you should get the ps3 so then you easily hack it and not having to buy the £40 games

7. BigGangstaKillaC93

BigGangstaKillaC93 Well-Known Member

I suggest a PS3 if you're thinking of burning games to discs instead of buying them. You can buy high capacity Verbatim DVDs from Amazon.com for cheap. You can get USB jailbreak dongles cheap like this here: "http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ps3-yes-v1-2-usb-modchip-ps-jailbreak-dongle-for-ps3-white-48235" as well. I wouldn't suggest getting a 3DS since games still have yet to be dumped. 3DS flashcards are only emulating DS roms right now. The PS3 has been extensively hacked, so it has a wide array of uses. The Xbox 360 is great too, but take into mind the games you want before you purchase a console.

8. dedboy

dedboy Guest

Much like BKG has stated-

Look over the software, do your homework and then decide. Now that the PS3 has been out for sometime, you shouldn't have any hardware issues. I don't see anything on the horizon that will bump off the PS3 from it's spot at the moment.

And yes, the PS3 games have vastly improved from the first generation titles. Now that the programmers aren't afraid to work on the costly games for the system, it will recieve many exclusive titles.
    I don't think you'll regret the purchase.

9. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

Why do people always ask questions like this? By the time they are there to make the purchase, it will all come down to the moment, regardless of what others may have said. That, and people in general are really bad about asking opinions when they have already made up their mind.

10. usernameladiesman217

But I have not yet made up my mind, I don't even have the money to buy it yet ~ only in about 9 or so days. That should give me enough time to make my decision.

11. someirishkid

someirishkid Well-Known Member

it depends on many different things, like:
    -which exclusives do you like (halo, killzone, LBP, MGS, Alan Wake, Gears)
    -which console do most of your friends have
    -will you be playing online a lot (xbox live is NOT free)
    -do you like indie games (xbox has a lot of indie games)

I chose xbox because all my friends had it, and i like Halo :)

12. dedboy

dedboy Guest

Nothing wrong with asking these questions, however silly or not they seem.
    Not like the site is being overflooded at the exact moment I type this.

You know you're going to buy it anyways, much like Nathan implied, or you would have never asked this question to begin with.

Never spend your rent/morgage/grocery money, or any important money(Car payments) on a machine.
    That should go without saying, alas, many folk have a shiny new PS3, but at age 25 they have to have their parents shuttle them to their jobs and such. Don't be one of them. Save your money, be smart on any purchase you make.

13. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

Dude, why even go through the hassle of disc burning? You can play pretty much any PS3 game off of an external HDD, for a fraction of the price of the total number of discs that will be. And I don't think Verbatim DVDs will work on games that are 13 GB, 19 GB, 41 GB, etc. If anything, you'll have to buy a Blu-Ray burner and pay $8 a blank disc, and who knows how much for the DL media...Buy a $80 external USB HDD, and swap out the internal HDD if you want to play the few games that can't be played on external due to having files larger than 4 GB. For games that require a Blu-Ray disc, go to any used games store and buy the cheapest game they have there. I saw Madden '08 for 25 cents...

PS3 if you're going to JB or put CFW on it, otherwise save your damn money.

14. flimbo

flimbo New Member

playstation 3 is an awesome and versatile machine

15. Raqueldms

Raqueldms Well-Known Member

Well, you should look at both PS3 and X360 exclusives and decide which console has more games of your interest.
    For example, I love Atelier series. That's the main reason why I bought a PS3 instead of a 360.
    I was in doubt because of 360's Tales of Vesperia in english, but it seems that I made the right choice after the Tales of Graces localization announcement. And there's an enhanced PS3's Vesperia translation project going on, which pretty much kills two birds with one stone.

It all depends on your preference. If you prefer games like Halo and Gears of War (I don't really know a lot of 360 exclusives), you should stick with X360.
    But if you like Uncharted, LittleBigPlanet, Killzone, Ar Tonelico, Tales and/or Atelier series, PS3 is the best choice.

16. Don't buy a 3DS. It doesn't look like it is in 3D.

17. usernameladiesman217

I decided against it.

I want a bigger motorcycle.

18. AnimeboyX3

AnimeboyX3 Well-Known Member

You can grab both.Like me.

19. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

You sure? Now's the time to hack PS3s since the firmware is 3.60 and we have hacks for it.
    As soon as 3.55 hacks came out, Sony responded with releasing 3.56 a day later...

20. Jolinzhang

Jolinzhang Member

I cna't agree more.another important point: it's very expensive.