1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Shin-Chan: FUNimation Dub vs Original?

Discussion in 'Anime, Manga & Cartoons' started by personuser, Sep 1, 2010.

1. personuser

personuser Well-Known Member

Besides the fact that the original japanese shin-chan has (supposedly) over 600 episodes and the FUNimation dub only has 52, which of the two is generally better, in your opinion? I know the FUN dub actually added more swearing to it, but I sorta think it's appropriate and hilarious when it's used, especially in "Hapiness Bunny's Revenge" ("What is this, orange juice? What do you think I am? I'm a Mother F*cking bunny!", and after the kid touches his ear "what do you think you're doing! a rabbit's ears are their most prized asset, like Tits on a cheerleader!")

The fact that it was updated and Americanized probably makes a lot of the references easier to understand, too (just TRY watching a subbed episode of an anime like azumanga daioh or lucky star. How to understand the gags takes up a third of the screen for about half of the episode.)

Any rate, ya feel that there are any reasons why the original shin chan is better (or worse) than the FUN dub?

2. CrashmanX

CrashmanX Well-Known Member

Almost any dub by Funimation isn't as good as the original.
    There are only a few I enjoy, even then I cant think of them right now.

3. j c 2000

j c 2000 Well-Known Member

dbz

4. gameboy5.0

gameboy5.0 Well-Known Member

for me i like to know what they are saying so dub is for me. as long as the plot is the same.

trigun is the best

5. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

I always hear that Trigun's dubbing is good, but I wouldn't say it's better than the original. Part of the charm of the original for me is when Vash yells 'Love and Peace' he has that heavy japanese accent to it.

I don't know, I always find that's there's more of an authenticity to the originals that dubbing can never get right.

6. personuser

personuser Well-Known Member

Yeah, there's a few animes (most memorably stuff like Urusei Yatsura, which never had dubs except for the first three episodes and all six movies, english couldn't properly emulate the eccentricities in the characters' voices. The most noticeable thing missing from the dub is how fast and slow the main charachter, Ataru talks. His speech is a little slowed down when he's trying to act normal or brave in the original, and the guy speeds it up and makes it really high when the character is acting perverted. It fits PERFECTLY. I sorta do like the japenglish in the series too. In one episode the characters go to America for a vacation and Ataru exclaims in very rusty English after meeting a girl "Howdee baybeh. I am best man in japan.". Of course, the girl is on a vacation from japan too. And you can really see more character in these than teh parts that WERE dubbed.

As for shin, since the plots DID get rewritten for the dub, and they probly ARE a tad funnier, not to even mention all of the dub's self-depreciation (mostly referring that they were too lazy to translate text on scenery into english) I feel it's good as its own show.