1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Shall I replace McAfee by AVG?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kiekoes, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Kiekoes

Kiekoes Guest

Yes or no?

2. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

i don't recommend either, but for your question, AVG is better so yes, but i still recommend ESET SMART SECURITY 4.....

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

if you mean get rid of mcafee and use AVG instead, then yes. If you mean use mcafee instead of AVG then no.

4. Kiekoes

Kiekoes Guest

I meant get rid of McAfee and use AVG.

5. CoolKill3r

CoolKill3r Well-Known Member

Do you mean AVG free Or the AVG you must pay for?

6. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

technically, you can get both free..... ::)

7. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

AVG for sure. That or Avast! (free version is great). Really, there is no anti-virus that is good enough for money to be paid. Going through the trouble of illegally acquiring it with a good key is rarely worth it.

8. Batman168

Batman168 Well-Known Member

Windows Security essentials has been the best for me, and it's free! (i'm a veteran of OWNING AVG, Norton, Avast, AND MCafee)

9. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I have paid for kaspersky. I'd also pay for nod32, but my budget only allows kaspersky, and I was recommended it by a blizzard employee.

10. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

I would recommend either Avast and Comodo Firewall or just the Comodo Internet Security and Antivirus.
    I would also use Spybot Search and Destroy along with those programs.

11. Blade5406

Blade5406 Well-Known Member

Try MS Security Essentials if you have a "genuine" installation of Windows...

12. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

i had Kaspersky's at one points in time, then i switched to ESS 4 and found over 300 viruses it missed..... 0_o so i don't trust Kaspersky's.....

13. Blade5406

Blade5406 Well-Known Member

Well, no AV program is perfect... there are also malwares not detected by both of those two...

as of May 2010
    http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparativesreviews/main-tests

14. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

this was updated as of may 2010

http://www.eset.com/home/compare-eset-to-competition

i'm to lazy to install Adobe reader/acrobat, so i can't use the PDF files in the link which was in the previous post....

15. MR4Y

MR4Y Well-Known Member

There's no baçance in some antivirus. Some of them are resource whores that slow down your pc. Some of them have bad databases. Can't ativirus developers find a balance?

16. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

well...ESET meets what you want.....low PC usage, and never a Bad database, updates daily, and i never get an infection, perfect balance!

17. Reider

Reider Modereider

I stand by this one as well. I wasn't expecting much when I ran it at first but it's surprisingly good.

18. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

i still stand by ESET......anything made by microsoft can't be that good.....

19. Reider

Reider Modereider

Fun fact: It wasn't made by microsoft, it was just some company that got bought up by them.

20. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

okay, let me rephrase...

anything made by microsoft or an affiliate can't be good.......