1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Several Questions about .nds & .gba files/games (kids games)

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by dz5003, Jun 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dz5003

dz5003 Active Member

Ok - I'm new to all this and quite proud of myself that I've made it this far... but I have some questions of anyone would be so kind as to help me out...

My Info... I have a new DS lite for my child's birthday in July (thank goodness I got is early enough to figure all this out!). I have a brand new Acekard 2 with the newest acekard software & an 8 gb Kingston micro sd card (which I formatted before I loaded anything on it). Most of the games I downloaded worked - no problem, but I have some questions...

First - Why can't I play gba files/games on my DSlite? They are on my card, but I can not see them. Do I HAVE to have a Slot 2 cartridge to do so? If so - please recommend an affordable one that I can use removable memory in.

Second...
    What is the difference between these two .nds files on this site?
    [NDS] 1479 - Animal Crossing v1.1 (U)(iND)
    [NDS] 0223 - Animal Crossing - Wild World (U)(SCZ)(F24508AA)

Third...
    [NDS] 2987 - Hello Kitty Big City Dreams (U)(DiPLODOCUS)
    Why won't this game work? I works up until you actually enter the game & it saves, but when you go "into" the game the screen goes black & it stops working. It does NOT work if you restart it either. :(

Fourth...
    This game won't load at all - it freezes at a white screen & will not do anything...
    [NDS] 1926 - Smart Kids Gameclub (U)(Sir VG)

Last... I have a couple gba video files I down loaded - How do I get those to work??

I think that is all of my question for now.

Thank you all in advance!

- dz5003

2. Blade5406

Blade5406 Well-Known Member

I thinik the one with the v1.1 is a trimmed rom...

you might want to check out this thread too..
    https://www.romulation.org/forum/index.php?topic=1462.0

3. pugmalion1

pugmalion1 Well-Known Member

Question 1: Yes, you need a slot 2 device to play GBA games. You don't necessarily need one with removable memory, though, as you will store your games on your AceKard. I suggest the EZFlash V 3-in-1. It's easy to use, and you can buy them in a style that sits flush in the device, as if there's not even a cartridge in there. If you really would rather have a device with removable storage, I suggest checking out M3's slot 2 cart.

Question 2: Version 1.1 is an updated dump of the game. Usually, the changes are minor, but since it's the same game, you might as well get the latest one. Can't hurt.

Question 3: If I remember back to when I downloaded the game, I believe Animal Crossing needs to be ARM 7 patched before it works on some carts. I'm not sure if AceKard is one of them, but try the method in this link and see if it fixes your problem

Question 4: See answer to question 3.

Question 5: I'm sorry, but I can't really help you with this one. I've never used my DS to play any video, so I have no experience in making it work. As far as I know, though, DS carts can only play one special file type to which all video must be converted.

4. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

1.Done

2.Done as well

3.I have that game and it works fine...have you tried using both-if it fails download one with (E) instead of (U) -that is the country code-I always use (E) region games (euro for E-U for USA)...

I have an acekard and it's fine-try downloading the alternate firmware for the acekard-akio-you need to place that into the card like the last one, and if you do it right you can have both the official firmware (the one you most likly have now) and akio...

When akio is used the "loading" screen goes red, and some games will actually work, some will not, so having both at once is an advantage-but try another region rom first-if you resort to this, download the latest akio, and let me know so I can help (might be...complicated, not enough time to help that one)

4.Same again-different region or use akio...

5. ...do you mean the gba video cart dumps like the pokemon vid eps. or files formatted for gba usage?

If the latter I would have no clue, but if the former, you might need the ezy 3 in one (good choice-it saves everything on the acekard, it works as a go between, it can even save one game and data just incase you want to link it for gba+ngc purposes...if you know what your doing, but you probably won't need it)

5. Fredbox

Fredbox Well-Known Member

I can't help with Question 3, but to play video's on the DS they need to be in a special format called DPG, and played on the homebrew media player Moonshell. You can find the latest version somewhere on www.gbatemp.net and if you want to download videos already encoded into DPG format, www.gbatmw.net is a good site with loads of movies and TV series.

6. MadmanNero

MadmanNero Well-Known Member

For question five if its the videos that were made for gba, then you will still need a slot 2 device for them to work.

7. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

First: You need a Slot 2 device.

Second: A better dump, no bugs, fixed version etc.

Third: Read this https://www.romulation.org/forum/index.php?topic=1462.0

Fourth: Read this https://www.romulation.org/forum/index.php?topic=1462.0

Five: You'll still need a Slot 2 device.

8. dz5003

dz5003 Active Member

Ok - Thank You everybody!

1) I ordered a EZV 3 in 1 Expansion Pack Plus so my little one can play GBA games.

2) I downloaded the updated version. [NDS] 1479 - Animal Crossing v1.1 (U)(iND)

3) [NDS] 2987 - Hello Kitty Big City Dreams (U)(DiPLODOCUS)
    I am still working on this, but there is a save type fix listed in the game's comments that I will try. Hopefully that fix will work.

4) Arm7 fixed this game - [NDS] 1926 - Smart Kids Gameclub (U)(Sir VG)

5) Hoping the GBA Movie files work after I recieve the slot 2 cart. I ordered.

Thanks All!!!!

- dz5003

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.