1. This forum is in read-only mode.

search?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by titen96, Dec 12, 2009.

1. titen96

titen96 Well-Known Member

i know where the search button is but i want to know if anybody can put a function where you can search and if finds a game with part of the words because sometimes my keyboard doesent type all the letters

2. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Get a new keyboard.

If your using a laptop...get it fixed.

But from what I see here it seems to be fine.

3. titen96

ok what i meant is that it doesent find anything if i dont spell the word right and if you could put something like google's did you mean:(insert correct word here)

4. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

Then make sure the game's title is spelled correctly before searching. If you're not sure, Google it.

5. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Doesn't always help...try F zero and you will see.

I have to browse the whole F section to find the games rather than type directly, because F zero is...odd.

To "F-Zero" or "F Zero" or even "Fzero" confuses me :(

6. titen96

thats what i mean

7. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-Zero

Wikipedia put a hyphen in it.

8. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

You mean.. Copy and Paste?

9. titen96

it isnt about f-zero its about most games that use hyphens or other word like if game has a number when i search it it doesent come out because they use the word version

10. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

You have to type complete words, so if you're looking for f-zero then typing just zero works, or typing f-zero works and funnily enough, f zero also works.

if you type zer then you're obviously not going to find anything. I will look into enabling partial word searching but it it far more resource demanding to maintain indices for such searches.

11. titen96

thank you
    Post Merge: [time]1260578596[/time]
    i found this
    http://websearch.about.com/od/fromthemailbag/f/partialword.htm

12. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

It didn't work for me last time..though this was during my first trips here...prehaps that explains why...

Oh well, i got them all anyways :)

13. titen96

i want to know about this
    http://forums.devshed.com/software-design-43/perform-partial-search-33323.html

14. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Thanks titen, I know perfectly well how I should do it. Both of those linked methods are definitely not performance friendly and if implemented on RomUlation would effectively kill the server within a few minutes.

15. titen96

ok i just wanted to know