1. This forum is in read-only mode.

SD card help

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by fabvini, Sep 21, 2011.

1. fabvini

fabvini Well-Known Member

Im having a problem. I formatted my sd card 2GB and it says that 320mb are already used. What do I do to remove this "used" space.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

is it actually showing 320MB used space, or just that the capacity is 320MB less than 2GB?

3. fabvini

The capacity is 320mb less. And I used to be able to fit all my .nds files (1,69GB) in it. Now I can't.

4. lewis9191

lewis9191 Well-Known Member

Did you format to fat or fat32?

5. fabvini

fat16.

6. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

a 2GB SD card does not have a capacity of 2GB, it is slightly less. This is historical and occurs because storage media sizes are given in base 10, therefore 1KB is 1,000 bytes. This is not actually true, as 1KB is 1024 bytes and as a result, the actual capacity of a storage medium will be less than the stated capacity. This is essentially a scam that was started by hard disk manufacturers back in the days when hard disks were too small for them to get found out. As hard disks have got larger, the effect has been magnified so it is now extremely obvious what is going on (you will lose about 30-40GB from a 1TB drive) but the practice is continued for historical reasons.

When it comes to solid state media, the capacity will actually shrink as the media gets used, this is due to parts of the flash wearing out and being marked as unusable internally. there is a reserved area of normally unusable sectors that get used to replace unusable sectors, but when that reserve area runs out the capacity of the media starts to decrease. This also happens to magnetic hard disks but at a much slower rate.

FAT16 may not be able to address 2GB.

7. fabvini

Its because Im on a mac, and there only is fat16 option is disk utilities.

8. lewis9191

lewis9191 Well-Known Member

Are you using the mac formatter ?. Use panasonic formatter.