1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Schools almost out, better prepare....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by err, May 16, 2008.

1. err

err Well-Known Member

Alright we all know schools almost out (5 more days or so, if not then you have a weird system). Anyway my parents are "going somewhere" during vacation. Sweet right? Not. I don't get to go. So.... They're going to leave me at my best friends house! W00t? Still, no. I mean he's cool and everything but I dunno it may get kinda boring for 2 months. So I planned to burn some PSX ISO's (from this site, where else?) to a blank disco play on his ps2( He has few games) But I hear I need a modchip or something 1) What the hell is it? 2) Where to get 3) How much does it cost and 4) Do you need to something spacial to your ps2 like disassemble or something complicated. If I can't do this it looks like I'll be playing Guitar Hero 3 and Metal Gear 2 for 2 months.

2. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

School here's already started about 2 months ago. Yes you will need a chipped PS2 of some sort, you can buy a proper chip if you want, but if you search on Youtube, there's some tutorials that will show you how to make your own modchip like out of a old credit card or phone card, that won't work as good as a bought one, but it should still work okay.

3. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Our Country's school schedule is an example of what you called weird. Here in the Philippines, School begins on June & ends at around March, April & May is Summer Vacation.

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

google Memor32, its an external modchip that allows you to play burned PS2 games without opening your PS2. Sadly it doesnt support all games, and I dont think it supports PSX games.

5. err

err Well-Known Member

OK thanks. Lets see if I'm smart enough to do this. By the way has anybody ever done this without a modchip I mean... Whats so important about the modchip anyway. Isn't it the same thing as putting a regular Game Disk with a game in it. I mean thats where the ISO's are taken from right?

6. err

err Well-Known Member

Yea thats right. It's just that he "kinda" broke his leg. Just to let you know...
    Anyway I found a vid on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap6-FxgX86A
    No modchip or anything. Maybe it's a fake but I'm going to try anyway

7. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Yeah, the swap magic trick does work on PS2 and PS1s, but you will find you will need to reset and try again many times. If you made the card modchip, you could play PS2 as well as PS1 backups.

8. err

err Well-Known Member

Alright! It's legit! I don't mind having to try a few times. At least I know I can do it. Metal Gear Solid and Silent Hill here I come! Thanks for the help.

9. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

Yeah school here starts in feb and runs untill december, our summer holidays run over christmas :)

Also you can probable find somewhere that will chip your PS2 for you if you want it done well and cant be arsed doing it yourself or the swapping trick. Id say itll be pretty cheap these days $10-$20 or so, maybe you and your mate can go halves or something? Im sure he wont mind chipping his PS2 if your going to load him up with games :p

Also try Syphon Filter for PSX, great game I used to play all the time. 3rd person shooter. You get one of those hand tazers as a weapon that shoots the dart. Dont underestimate how fun it is to shock people untill they catch fire.

10. Cahos Rahne Veloza

PS2 &PSOnes here in the Philippines are pre modded if you buy them in Malls, technically the authorities don't even know what modchips are (dullards), but they do know of Pirated Game discs

P.S.

Ssshh!! Don't tell them ok ;D

11. err

err Well-Known Member

Yes, it is funny that some "authorities" don't know anything about hacking stuff but snap once they hear the word "pirated". Anyway I'll try the "switch-the-disk-at-the-Playstation-logo-with-backup-disk" trick if not then I have no choice then to buy a modchip somewhere. Why buy it when I don't know if I can do it for free?

12. Cahos Rahne Veloza

One of the side effects of doing the swap trick, though some argue that it's not true, is it wil lessen the lifespan of your Console's reading lens motor.

13. err

err Well-Known Member

Really? Does it lessen it life-span drastically or maybe 1-3 years? I'm only planning on doing it for a few weeks.

14. Cahos Rahne Veloza

I know the PS2 & PSOne lens mechanisms are different but the principle's the same. On my PSone's original lens mechanism (I've had it replaced as it finally croaked), doing the swap trick forces the mechanism to stop abruptly, which overtime, messes up the allignment, which is bad.

15. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

Yeah I had that with my old PSX too, though having 4 or 5 PSX consoles lying around it was pretty easy to replace :)

16. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

Great, thanks for reminding me...

17. clyffe28

clyffe28 Well-Known Member

I'm getting a little bored this vacation so I'm looking forward to going to school this year ( First time )

18. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

It does get boring after a while...

19. Reemr

Reemr Well-Known Member

I only have 5 days left of school. :D
    On the other hand, I have a modded PS2 that my friend switched with my old PS2 so he could trade it in. The bad part is that I don't know how to use it. I suppose I could ask him. I remember it had something to do with holding dow..n the reset button and using a gameshark.

20. clyffe28

clyffe28 Well-Known Member

Now, The more I wish It was already school time because of the storm and signals :p tht are occuring lately