1. This forum is in read-only mode.

saved games on PJ64 other forums not helpful

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Spencer6893, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Spencer6893

Spencer6893 New Member

alright, so im playing ocarina of time, and i load my game, not only am i behind in my game, but im VERY far behind. is there any way to get my saved game back? note: i had given up after a while and just began playing again, and the same thing happened. there's only so many times i can spend in jabu jabu's belly before i shoot myself in the face. i tried looking for this save folder that other forums talk about, and i cannot find it anywhere. i'd really appreciate it if someone could help me (step by step process would be great) and please you tech retarded terms, as i am not very tech saavy.

2. reekon_retro

reekon_retro Well-Known Member

Okay I'll try but it may or may not work. If you installed it from a setup package rather than having it downloaded from the web then it will be located in the program files folder *(just program files for windows 32bit or program files (x86) for a 64 bit version of windows)*. Look for Project 64 v(the version of it) folder. I have 1.5 haven't upgraded yet so will be differnt from yours. Go to My Computer > C:/ Local Disk and then program files and with luck you'll find the folder. Once you find the folder enter, there should be some files and folders: look for a saves or savestates folder your files might be in there.
    If you have a downloaded version that came in a .zip or .rar archive, then it should be in the folder where you extracted it to. Look for the save/savestate folder inside the Project 64 folder. Then you either direct the emulator path in the settings to the savestat folder where you have a least some files inside (not too sure of the save file extension ,will check later). Then after all is done run the emulator and the Zelda game and hopefully it picks up the save file and will load your saved game. Reply back if it works or not... if not we'll try another method.

3. Spencer6893

Spencer6893 New Member

i have found the folder, but only from settings on the emulator window (the window you play the game on) when i look for it in the project64 folder, it is not there. i have no files or folders hidden (i saw in a different forum that it might be a problem if i have hidden folders) but still nothing. as of right now, i changed the route that saved games go to a file i created on my desktop (to prevent this from happening again). i still would really like to get my old game back though.
    Post Merge: [time]1351871820[/time]
    the only folders that are in project64 folder are:
    docs
    lang
    plugin
    pif2.dat
    pjgameFAQ.chm
    project64.chm
    project64.cht
    project64.exe
    project64.exe.manifest
    project64.rdb
    project64.rdx

4. reekon_retro

reekon_retro Well-Known Member

Okay at least you've found the folder and configured your paths. Since you haven't had luck on the loading let's try another way. There are 2 ways of saving on the emulator: The quicksave way and the memory pack method. The quicksave way you save with the F Keys (either F key (F1, F2, F3, etc,etc.) and load with maybe alt+F key (I might be mistaken and it might be the other way around, maybe try it on another game rom to be sure, not on Zelda coz it will overwrite your current save.)
    The other way is the memory pack way which in my opinion is better. This memory pack method emulates the games just like on a real console where you boot the game and then it will ask you which file you'd like to load and so on. To save this way you have to configure in the joypad/controller settings. There'll be like a rectangular tab above the controller settings where you assign the keys, you click on this and then there'll be 2 option memory pack or rumble pack: choose the memory pack option. This way you can save ingame like on a real N64.
    Both have different advantages and disadvantages. The memory pack way is good for like when you saving a game where you've progressed a long way into the game and the quicksave is ok for like short/temp saves like before a boss fight. Note: the quicksave will overwrite the memory pack save so be careful when doing this. My guess is(just a guess) that you might have overwritten the save file tha you're looking for.
    Which method are you using: quicksave or memory pack?

5. Spencer6893

Spencer6893 New Member

quick save, and i fear you might be correct in that i overwrote my old save file. it has save slots, and i only used the defualt one, after it went wayyy back i said oh well and continued playing, making new saves. so it's probably lost forever :/ i appreciate your trying to help, but i think i'll just continue along keeping all my saves in the new folder. if somehow that ends up losing my saved games (it shouldn't) then im going to give up completely. thanks again.