1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Save Issues with Robopon 2 on VBA

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by DebtRay, Dec 14, 2013.

1. DebtRay

DebtRay Member

Hello, RomUlation!

I'm having some saving problems running Robopon 2 (both versions) on Visual Boy Advance (v1.7.6) for Mac OS X. Whenever I pull out the menuscrin to save, it tells me "Overwrite? Failed." The same in-game message pops up even though I've made sure to clear my battery save folder. I could provide a screencap, but I don't know how to attach an image onto here. The Roms were downloaded off the main site, so I wonder if the files are corrupted? I'm fairly new to emulation, but I don't have this saving issue when running other roms on VBA (though it has crashed on me a few times).

I'm not sure what more information I can provide that may help in diagnosing the problem. Anyone got ideas?

Thanks guys. And thanks for the good work on this site.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

the files are not corrupted, If the file extracts from the archive fine, then it is not corrupt.

is it the game that gives the error message, or the emulator?

we don't allow attachments on this forum, to insert an image you need to upload it to an image hosting site such as photobucket or imgur, then use the supplied forum bbcode in your post.

3. DebtRay

DebtRay Member

Sure. The message is in-game, and it doesn't appear to be from the emulator. When I click to save, this appears near instantaneously--

[​IMG]

4. Loonylion

then there's some setting in the emulator that isn't correct for the game.

5. DebtRay

DebtRay Member

Ah. So, by incorrect setting do you mean that the emulator is simply incompatible with the rom? Or is there a setting available on the emulator that I should try messing around with? I guess I should try another emulator anyway.

6. Loonylion

I don't think its incompatible, its something in the options that needs changing.

7. DebtRay

DebtRay Member

What do you recommend? I'm not really seeing anything in the options drop-down menu or VBA preferences that seems like it would affect save games. But then again, I'm really not savvy about this sorta thing. Restoring settings to default also didn't seem to work.

[​IMG]

8. Loonylion

hmm maybe you need a different emulator then. It's definitely an issue with the emulator.

9. DebtRay

DebtRay Member

Alrighty. Thanks so much for bearing with me. I'll try something else and drop you guys an update when I find the time.

<<EDIT>>

Just tried running Robopon 2 on boycott, but I encountered the same saving issue.

10. DebtRay

DebtRay Member

Merry holidays everyone. Still trying to move forward with Robopon 2 on VBA. I encountered the same saving issue on boycott, and after attempting to run the rom on VBA again, I noticed that the in-game counter for saves still registers each of my save attempts.

[​IMG]

A save-file for the rom is produced in my battery saves folder though the game states that the overwrite has failed. I'm still mystified that the game even prompts me for an overwrite because I make sure to clear the folder before I make a save attempt. Has anyone on this forum managed to run this rom successfully?

11. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Have you tried playing the game on VBA-M? You know VBA is pretty old now and VBA-M is its spiritual successor:

http://vba-m.com/forum/Thread-visualboyadvance-m-svn-1097-mfc-info-and-download

12. DebtRay

DebtRay Member

Thanks so much for the recommendation. Unfortunately, the same issue popped up again using VBA-M.

13. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Where did you get your copy of Robopon by the way. Did you get it from here on RomU. If so could you tell me how big the ROM is? If I recall correctly several years back, the copy from here on RomU was a bad copy weighing in at only 4MB whereas the right ROM is supposed to be 8MB in size.

Try finding a copy else where. Tirith once had them on Megaupload but we all know Megaupload is no longer available.

http://forum.romulation.net/index.php?topic=11344.msg121582#msg121582

14. DebtRay

DebtRay Member

I got my copy of Robopon 2 through the romulation main site. I came across several other rom hosting sites in my search for a working version of this game before I arrived here. However, this is my first attempt submitting a help request to a forum like this one.

<<< EDIT >>>

Both roms extract to 8.4mb each time.

15. Icarus007

Icarus007 Well-Known Member

i think you must change the save type from automatic to EEPROM. Open vba - go to options - emulator - save type - and click on EEPROM. There is a similar issue with DBZ buu's fury .by doing this it saves properly.but you have to start the game again.

16. DebtRay

DebtRay Member

Thanks for the reply. But could you direct me using this screencap of the VBA preferences menu? I think the mac version does not provide something like an options drop-down menu, and I'm not seeing anything that may affect save-files.

[​IMG]

17. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

Probably try changing the options under emulator's 'FLASH SIZE'. Also you might also want to add/use/activate the GBA BIOS and real time clock if changing the flash size type still doesn't solve the issue. Once done, press OK/SAVE, then re-load the rom before playing the game.

18. Icarus007

Icarus007 Well-Known Member

I am useless when it comes to mac i use windows and....as embarrassing as it is to say i have never used mac...sorrry (T.T)

19. DebtRay

DebtRay Member

No worries mane. Any help is muchly appreciated. But in regards to flash size, switching from 64k to 124k only slowed the rom down considerably. There was no effect on the save function--same with activating the GBA BIOS and real-time clock. The same in-game text provided above appeared.