1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Sandman Strikes Back

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dedboy, Sep 16, 2010.

1. dedboy

dedboy Guest

Can't sleep for shit. How do you guys get the shut eye you need?
    Any suggestions will be taken into consideration. I know drugs are a way, but sadly I am down that route now. I work from 430 AM[EST] till around 5PM.

The sandman damn got me, but to no avail.
    Gonna go watch ESPN classic and hope John Madden, knocks me out.

Damn.

2. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

I really have no fast remedy. I just let myself get bored, start watching something I'm not really interested in, and avoid distractions. If I don't let my mind wander, I can be out in about 10 minutes.

3. dedboy

dedboy Guest

My mind does wander. Though not as much. I used to do what you do, focus and I could be out in fifteen or less. Thing is slowing down my mind is another matter altogether.

4. doughboy

doughboy Guest

go run a few laps, and you'll be tired and pass out.
    (did this once, woke up at 2:00 the next day)

5. LuckyTrouble77

My mind wanders terribly. It can keep me up easily for an extra couple of hours just thinking.

6. dedboy

dedboy Guest

Same here. I tend to dwell too much on other people's problems. Even in my state now, I over think just about everything.

7. LuckyTrouble77

I've had that problem since I was about 10. My mind would just wander in every direction possible. I'll lay there and dissect the many different outcomes of a single situation. One of those outcomes will lead my mind into another subject altogether which will link up with other subjects in a way that I eventually hit one that sticks and just sort of rinse and repeat for as long as my mind can focus.

8. doughboy

doughboy Guest

same here.

9. dedboy

dedboy Guest

I could explain in rational scientific terms, but then the psychologists would lose all their ADHD credibility, and I'd be killed right then and there.

10. LuckyTrouble77

It's really only when I lay down. Throughout the day I can focus on everything I need to do fine. Once I give my mind the "OK" though, it just sort of does its own thing.

11. dedboy

dedboy Guest

It's ok to let it roam for the sake of it. But never let it go too far. I've already had to talk to people who hit paranoia phase. Thing is, you know the more intelligent the individual, the more prone to mental 'attacks.'
    occupy it with something, even a word search is better than too much thinking time.
    Too much thinking leads to too much analyzing. That leads to sorrow,speaking for myself though.

12. LuckyTrouble77

The side-effects of the wandering could actually explain many a thing. Since I've been doing it far less, as an everyday person, I've been much more positive, friendly, and social.

13. dedboy

dedboy Guest

Positivity, the bane of listlessness. Good to hear it.

14. LuckyTrouble77

Since you're still posting, I'm going to assume sleep still isn't happening. Any luck at least making yourself tired?

15. dedboy

dedboy Guest

Actually, the thought of sleeping is more or less a signal for my defensive mechanism to kick in, as it seems to want to disallow the notion of sleeping.
    But time to fight back, eh?
    Take care, C-YA soon.
    And keep your mind closer than your heart, you're heart becomes corrupted faster than your mind does.

16. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Some tricks I do that works for me:

1. Take a warm shower.
    2. Drink hot cocoa, or milk.
    3. Eat a heavy meal.
    4. Play a few videogames until I feel my head feel a bit heavy.
    5. Read a boring book, like the bible LOL!
    6. Force myself to yawn & then I put all my attention to listening to the sound of my yawn.
    7. Get laid.... surely after getting some jiggy on, you'd feel a lot more tired therefore you'd get sleepy.

17. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

hmmm... i usually listen to classical music, like Beethoven while i'm trying to sleep, it calms the mind enabling you to sleep easier :p

18. dedboy

dedboy Guest

I finally got four hours last night. I have to steal sleep now.

19. personuser

personuser Well-Known Member

Damn, that ain't much.

I've really got the opposite problem right now; I keep conking out every hour - cos I got a cold and gotta take these damn anti-allergy/cold pills all the time and hell if they're non-drowzy. I'll probly spend most of my weekend dozing. I'm only half-up now even, and I haven't taken one since ten in the morning.

20. dedboy

dedboy Guest

Antihistamines bite man. I used to take them as a kid for sinus infections. They put you into sort of a cationic state, I would fall asleep, then try to wake up while I was sleeping, and it felt as if I couldn't wake up. Best thing to do is eat a little something before you lay down, to keep some balance.