1. This forum is in read-only mode.

:S Confused About Patching...

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by No_1_Wonder, Apr 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. No_1_Wonder

No_1_Wonder Member

Hey guys, i need some help. well basically I have been roaming around this website for games, however some of these games do not work and in the comments there is always some saying "can you get this patched."

So all i would like to know is what is patching

P.S Can i manually use cheats e.g i go on a website and get a cheat code then use straight onto game (R4)

Thnaks Alot ;)

2. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Patching removes the main portions of the code in the game that tells it how to work with the DS hardware, and replaces it with that information from another game. This is mainly used for save issues, and these files handle Saving, as well as other things. The most common file is arm7.bin but sometimes things are done with the arm9.bin file.

You can use a program like DSLazy which will extract the ROM into all the seperate files. Then you take the arm7.bin file from a working ROM, and put it inside the ROM that doesn't work. Then you use DSLazy to repack the files into a ROM again.

As for cheats, you need to go to cheats.gbatemp.net Here there are cheat databases what work with your cards (like the R4). In the R4, you can easily turn cheats on and off, and the database contains 100s of them. I believe for the R4, you want the usrcheat.dat file.

3. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

usrcheat or cheat, use usrcheat though. Newer ROMs usually use updated binary files with their updated SDK.

4. No_1_Wonder

No_1_Wonder Member

Thanks Alot ;D

if i download an arm 7 can it damage my r4, or even worse my nds?

5. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

No. It's just the binary file in a NDS ROM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.