1. This forum is in read-only mode.

running emulators

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by msg2009, Nov 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

im having problems running emulators properly ive tried different versions and plugins but they always run choppy or crash. ive tried all the sega saturn emulators and most psx. however snes, megadrive, amiga, gameboy and n64 all run fine.

im thinking this has to be my computer?
    its pentium 4 3ghz
    2mb ram
    windows xp pro

do i need something more powerful or am i just doing something wrong?

2. Jhon 591

Jhon 591 Well-Known Member

Check this site for latest emulators and advice

http://forums.ngemu.com/

http://forums.ngemu.com/saturn-emulation/128989-saturn-emulator-best.html

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I think you mean 2GB ram, and what graphics chip do you have?

4. msg2009

oops yeah 2gb ram :-[
    not great with computers obviously
    ATI FireGL V3100 PCIe16 128Mb is only thing i can find in spec that mentions graphics

5. Jhon 591

Jhon 591 Well-Known Member

I downt know it depence also on the emulator its self, they also do help with hardware...

6. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

the firegl card is not intended for games, while I have a friend who managed quite well with one, I have one that is absolute shit (V3350 256MB). This could be contributing to the issues, as could the video ram being slightly on the low side. Additionally the V3100 is an entry level firegl. PSX emulators generally need careful configuration to work properly (and one config does not necessarily work for all games), and sega saturn emulators are fairly poor to start with.

7. msg2009

i upgraded to an nvidea geforce 8600gt 256mb and 4gb ram and it works better now.
    1 thought though, could it have been because i have the images stored on an external usb drive? might it run better from internal hard drive?

8. namklaw7

namklaw7 Well-Known Member

Other than a slight hiccup once in a while, there's little difference between internal and usb hard drives. The emus I use are ePSXe 1.6 (PS) and SSF (SATURN) but like loonylion says you have to configure the graphics settings for optimum performance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.