1. This forum is in read-only mode.

rpg suggestions for newcomer to rpg"s?

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by sulcount13, Mar 30, 2009.

1. sulcount13

sulcount13 Member

i recently went out and bought the ds lite and have noticed the incredibly huge library of rpg's, however ive really never played rpg's when i was younger(always enjoyed sports,shooting games mostly)...i would like to buy some rpg titles but not sure which ones would make my transition to rpg's alot easier and smoother...any suggestions? thanks in advance for your help

2. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

For simplicity's sake, get Dragon Quest V, that game's mechanics are still close to its older SNES version only spiced up a little in terms of graphics quality. Or you could go with Final Fantasy III, again still kinda close to its original NES version in terms of gameplay.

3. faune

faune Well-Known Member

Chrono Trigger DS. It's fairly easy (though most RPGs aren't very challenging, considering that avid players will level up much more than necessary) and the game's dialogue was cleaned up for the port release, making the story much more interesting to follow.

Also, I recommend TWEWY (The World Ends With You), which many consider an "urban" RPG. It's real-time, where you control two characters, one on the top screen (with the D-pad, though there is an auto-play option) and one on the bottom screen (with the stylus). Story line is slow to start but does pick up, it's very good, there's are lots of humourous moments- I think because you are new to RPGs, you'd be more willing to give it a chance. P: Lot's of people don't like the urban feel of it.

4. Deathbreak911

Deathbreak911 Well-Known Member

Some other RPG's you could easily get lost in would be "Dungeon Explorer" (It's more or less Diablo DS), "Lost Magic" (Very easy, interesting gameplay, no replay value), or "Some Bringer" (A very good one. It's been fan patched into english).

5. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Soma bringer

theres also zelda: link to the past, secret of mana/evermore and the early final fantasy games on snes

6. zangief

zangief Well-Known Member

come on, you can't suggest TWEWY to an RPG newbie. that game will drive him away.

i agree that Dragon Quest V should be your first RPG. it's hella easy, and the best part is that it's so oldschool, you won't get trashed by me for being a "Final Fantasy VII noob"

7. Usoppu

Usoppu Well-Known Member

does this mean you havn't played pokemon!!!
    [​IMG]

go with platinum :)

8. crazytuna

crazytuna Well-Known Member

9. faune

faune Well-Known Member

He plays shooters and sports games- I've played a fair amount of shooters, which are fast-paced, highly interactive, etc. One of the turn-offs from TWEWY for avid RPG players, I'm sure, is the incredibly innovative battle system- doesn't give you much time to think, so if you don't know what you're doing, you'll make winning hard on yourself. Kind of like shooters, in my opinion. Which is why I think he'll like it. P:

**EDIT - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLcD7w9TqkI

Here's a quick video that includes a chain battle, so you can see the gameplay for himself. P: The left side is the top screen of the DS, the right side is the bottom screen of the DS. :)

10. zangief

you have a point, but another thing is that if he starts with TWEWY, finishes it, then plays another RPG, he'll go say "this game is crap because the battles is so lame". His standards will be set so high, he wont have any interest in RPGs that preceeded TWEWY and he'll turn away from RPGs in general.

it's probably the same for me, which probably is why i never had a liking towards Dragon Quest. it's probably because my first RPG played was Final Fantasy 6.

making a RPG newbie start with TWEWY is a lose-lose situation IMO.

11. crazytuna

Well are games like Soma Bringer considered RPG (gameplay like Diablo), cause theyre fine if you start with them
    but its your choice to start with The World Ends With You, just dont expect it to be easy at the start

12. zangief

lol, im actually AGAINST newbies starting with TWEWY as their first RPG, because it's too complicated.

i'm ok with Soma Bringers or the game of the like because it may not be a traditional RPG like Earthbound or Dragon Quest, or even Final Fantasy, but it's a good start.

13. crazytuna

We can't actually decide what he has to play or what he can't, if he wants to play it so be it, remember the topic was suggest

14. zangief

i know, but what im saying is that i wouldn't recommend it :)

15. Barathrum

Barathrum Well-Known Member

TWEWY will make him break his DS.  I suggest a Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles. It's an action dungeon crawler.

16. Usoppu

Usoppu Well-Known Member

does castlevania dawn of sorrow qualify

that was damn fun and easy to play (well for me :p)

17. haseoTOD

haseoTOD Guest

No, it's a Hack N' Slash game with a twist.

RPG's for Newbies:
    Final Fantasy series is also col if you want to play for hours and hours of gaming.
    Dragon Quest series is really recommended for you, it's easy to play, no speacial feature or some shit. Just don't break your DS when you lose to boss fights.

OR if you want a really challenging game:
    TWEWY my mom hates me for playing that game. You have to control 2 characters, on the top screen and on the lower screen, while fighting hordes of monsters, not turned based, real time game, will blow your fucking head off.

there are really many cool games:
    Dementium: The Ward A horror RPG shooter
    Lux- Pain A Hotel Dusk-like RPG game.

18. sulcount13

sulcount13 Member

awesome advice thank u all for helping

19. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

Luminous Arc 2
    TWEWY (Perhaps a little difficult)
    Summon Night Twin Age
    Final Fantasy 4
    My World My Way
    Pokemon Platinum
    Chrono Trigger
    Valkyrie Profile

These are some good RPG's and they are pretty high rated. I recommend them

20. sulcount13

sulcount13 Member

FFiv and pokemon platinum are two games im interested in am i missing smething by starting in middle and not beginning?..will i be lost staring with these two games?