1. This forum is in read-only mode.

RPG NPC Chatting Addiction Sort-of-Anonymous Meeting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by markswan, Feb 1, 2010.

1. markswan

markswan Well-Known Member

I am obsessed with reading every line of dialogue in RPGs (other genres of games as well, but mostly Japanese RPGs).
    The first thing that i do when i enter a town is speak to everybody in every area, i also frequently check back with the NPCs after plot progression in the game world to see if they have anything new to say.
    This is almost like a sort of addiction to me, to the point that i actually don't enjoy doing it and dread discovering a new town or the plot moving forward and opening new dialogue as this just means that i feel compelled to revisit previous areas and button-tap my way through another slew of boopy text screens. This isn't the case of all games i play, just the ones i enjoy the most. When playing Dragon Quest: 5 i was impressed with the sharp writing so much that i felt a deep sinking feeling as i knew i would feel the need to talk to every single character (sometimes multiple times; so that i could hear the responses of eah of my party members). Dragon Quest: 5 sort of cured me in a way though: there is a part in the game where you choose one of three girls to marry, and because she then becomes character and has reaction-dialogue to almost everything said by any NPC, this meant i needed to create three separate save files and then... oh god, it depresses me to even try and elaborate further, you get the idea. Long story short i no longer do this, has anyone else found themselves doing the same, galloping from one side of Hyrule to the other just to find out what everyone thinks of a giant freaking pyramid on the horizon et cetera

It doesn't have to be dialogue: it can be actions or any other miscellaneous details that you feel compelled to experience

Feel free to critises the drawn-out nature of the opening to this thread and also call me an OCD nutter/fag who plays RPGs/ZeldA sUKCZ ASS LOLz or whatever (I'm not new to this Internet thing), but if your please keep the criticism and slurs creative, this forum is a high-brow establishment: all trolls must wear top hats

2. MessoMesso

MessoMesso Well-Known Member

I do the same thing too, and I'll have you know that I am not a nutter! I am, in fact, a lunatic.

Get it straight!

3. g@l1h

g@l1h Well-Known Member

I'm doing that too though.
    I usually wonder what these people have to say, especially if what they says keep changing.

It's just fun looking for some random information from NPC's on a game.

4. ggrroohh

ggrroohh Well-Known Member

I'm sure you will love reading the Tales of series skits ::)

5. g@l1h

g@l1h Well-Known Member

Agreed ;D
    Love reading those skits ::)

6. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

I do talk to interesting-looking people in case of freebies (or in the case of Star Ocean 2, PAs that may result in me getting a new party member). Do I go back? Nah, not really. Do I read everyone's text? Nope. Do I have to read every word, plot-wise? Hell yeah.

7. MitsukaiXxX

MitsukaiXxX Well-Known Member

I hate all the talking and dialogue sometimes,because they just go on and on and on and on and on and on and on

yeah :)

8. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

I quick read npc chat now.

But because I was doing that too often...I stopped playing rpg's.

At first I wanted to know the full story of the game, then just to get the general idea, then...just to see if I get anything for free from them XD

9. MitsukaiXxX

LOL,yeah same here :)

10. markswan

markswan Well-Known Member

A lot of people do do that in RPGs, sometimes i do it in games like the Dragon Ball series because i want to play a fighting game; not take in an encyclopedia of inanity. The games where i want to read every single line of text tend to be well written RPGs, and games like the Professor Layton series. If i like a character in a game and they have potential reaction dialogue to anything that NPCs may say, i feel that i'm missing out if i don't hear it (the character may have something to say that makes me empathise wqith them further, or something funny or enlightening).

11. MitsukaiXxX

Final Fantasy Series I read 100%,only becasue the dialogue was so well written,and intresting.
    Most RPG'S are the same old story and lines lol
    but FF is diffrent.

Oh and the Silent Hill Series :)

12. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Thing is...I can't even be bothered reading all the chat in phoenix wright games ethier :p

And you NEED to pay attention to even solves a case XD

13. Mein

Mein Well-Known Member

I rarely speak with NPC, with some special case :)

14. MessoMesso

MessoMesso Well-Known Member

Seeing as this is an Anonymous help group... when are you going to lay down the Twelve Commandments buddy?