1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Romulation should have FAQs for games :)

Discussion in 'Game Help' started by PrettyGirl16, May 28, 2012.

1. PrettyGirl16

PrettyGirl16 Member

I was just thinking, Romulation should have FAQs for games, like gamefaqs.com. Then it would be, like, the best site for games ever :)

What do you think? ::)

2. alexong96

alexong96 Well-Known Member

Too much work. It's gonna take a lot of dedication to pull it off.

3. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

I for one agree with BloodlustNS, too much work and takes up too much space. I was part of that FAQ site you mentioned in the above post. Made a few game guides and faqs for the PSX and PS2 back then. Took me weeks just to write on a single game, then comes the editting that took a few hours to days (spell check, format check, etc.). When done, it was 30-50 notepad pages. Try image what it will look like when posted to a forum post site like Romu? Be too long for anyone to care to read it.

Heck the game review section in this forum lack of anyone's interest in reading it when its around a folio page long. Of cause there is a way around it, that is for anyone willing to go through all the pain of making the FAQ/Walkthrough on notepad/word/whatever text editor, have it saved somewhere in a folder and uploaded to a fileshare server, post info about it. It'll keep the post in here short, while the real reading material to be downloaded if preferred. Of cause I bet not many will go through the trouble of making one nowadays.

4. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

I agree with the two posters above me.

It takes to much time and effort to write FAQs.
    If you want one, then go to: www.gamefaqs.com

5. athemoe

athemoe Well-Known Member

Dude, she already linked this in the first post.

6. PrettyGirl16

PrettyGirl16 Member

Oh well, just a thought anyways...
    Thanks for your opinions though :)

7. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

Quite alright. Its was a good idea, but not one that is visible to realize given how lengthy it will be to write FAQs.

8. Hypr

Hypr Well-Known Member

No it isn't! This idea is rather pointless since there are other stable sources (mainly GameFAQs which was mentioned) that already provide that service. Romulation does not need to offer FAQs to video games when there are plenty of sites that already do this. It would be just like pissing in a sea of piss.

There would also be an issue with plagiarism, which will make it a bitch for the staff to screen each and every FAQ submitted. Who will be willing to read hundreds of FAQs to make sure they weren't copied or plagiarized from someone or somewhere else?

The game review section is lacking activity mainly because many people here are not capable of writing constructive game reviews of good quality. As of now, there are plenty of reviews queued up in the Review Submission, but not one of them are accepted for various reasons: poor writing style, terrible format and organization, and biased opinions, just to name a few.

Which reminds me: why the hell is everyone submitting reviews giving scores to each attribute of the game like IGN? That has no place at all in the review. Look at GameSpot's reviews for example. They don't give scores to each attribute of the game, but instead give a single overall score rating.

9. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

we believe that rating different elements of games separately is more informative than a single overall score.

10. Hypr

Hypr Well-Known Member

If you want to give ratings for each attribute of the game, that's fine. But I would suggest not writing a paragraph or two just to explain your rating for each and every attribute (which is what almost everyone is doing.) All those things should be discussed in your review as you critique the game based on your gameplay experience. Make a little section of your scores for each attribute at the top of your review before you write your first paragraph of your review.

Also, the sum of the scores of the attributes do not represent the overall score for the game. Each game's quality rating can have some of their attributes more heavily weighted than others. In fact, the overall rating should be it's own score, not the sum of all the scores of all the attributes.