1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Romulation oh Romulation!! Where art thou Romulation!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cahos Rahne Veloza, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Okay so like I've been "ACQUIRING" GBA ROMs here from the site for almost five months now, it all started last May of this year. I found the site by accident when I was surfing for Po***on ROMs on the net. :D
    At first it was just to collect the series but soon I was downloading more titles like crazy. Then, 3 weeks ago I was unable to log on to the site then I found this add by searching on my browser that the site was having some technical difficulties so downloads were unavailable. Damn I said, but by clicking on another link I was finally able to enter the site. To my surprise, the "technical difficulty" turned out to be the Fuckin' ESA!!! God damned ESA Assholes!!! :-[
    Anyway, how the hell did they found out what was goin' on in the site anyway??
    Did they hire a stoolie to register on the site or somethin' Sheesh!!!
    Anyway I'm glad that the site's back and I'm praying that rom hosting will follow (but in a more secure stealthy-like manner hehe).
    Oh & if I may suggest, if ROM downloads do become available in the near future (hopefully) can you guys opt for the 7-zip arcchive format it compresses files maller & better than the .rar format the site currently uses.
    And oh a resume download feature would be nice, you know, the feature that will allow you to continue your download if your connection suddenly gets cut off instead of restarting your download once you regain access. I once came across a "shady" ROM download site that had this feature which was great for guys like me here in asia who still relies on a crappy 56k modem to connect & download crap on the net.
    And speaking of Asia, why not set up the site here in Asia where nob Fuckin' ESA can touch you hehehe. :D :D :D

2. cfiniris

cfiniris Well-Known Member

...Doesn't the file to decompress 7-zip cost money, unlike WinRAR?

Oh, and they do actually have that. It's called "Download Manager". I agree that it would be nice to have one site-side, though, but it isn't necessary...

3. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Technical difficulties were not The ESA no. And we haven't exactly hidden the site and we aren't hard to find, The ESA have to be seriously retarded not to find every major ROM site within 2 hours.

We won't use 7z no, while it is indeed a tad more effective then it would mean an increased need for support because most people won't know what 7z is. It's bad enough with rar files already.

And we do support download managers, I see no point in implementing a Java applet or something similar to download, that'd be major work for no real benefit. We've supported download managers since day 1 of this time around so I don't see the problem really. Resuming even works now with files that cost points, expect we don't have any files at the moment. :)

4. MusicAddict911

MusicAddict911 Well-Known Member

I agree. RAR is a much wider used standard than 7zip.

5. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Damn it's been weeks since I posted this hehe sorry for my delay in reacting I hope you don't take it the wrong way. Anyhoo, I think I'll retract m now open source!! you can get it at sourceforge.nety support for 7-zip for now coz it seems the dl sites that were using it reverted to using winRAR "huh!? I said to myself". then I read your posts here, it's true 7-zip won't become as recognized as winRAR but not because you have to pay for it, it's absolutely free!! Since it became opensource & can be downloaded from sourceforge.net. 7-zip's downfall will be caused by its unpopularity, as an example ROMnation.net supported 7-zip & even provided alink to 7-zip's free download & clearly instructed their customers to " download 7-zip here to decompress our files" but it seems some people can't spend a little time to download the thing, so the site's admins had to revert to winRAR, sheesh talk about poor advertising hehe.

6. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

winrar now opens 7zip files, but believe me, we have enough problems getting people to understand winrar.

7. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Please disregard my earlier post it had a ton of crappy typos damn!!

Damn it's been weeks since I posted this hehe sorry for my delay in reacting I hope you don't take it the wrong way. Anyhoo, I think I'll retract my stand on using 7-zip for now coz it seems the dl sites that were using it reverted to using winRAR "huh!? I said to myself". then I read your posts here, it's true 7-zip won't become as recognized as winRAR but not because you have to pay for it, it's absolutely free!! Since it became opensource & can be downloaded from sourceforge.net. 7-zip's downfall will be caused by its unpopularity, as an example ROMnation.net supported 7-zip & even provided a link to 7-zip's free download & clearly instructed their customers to " download 7-zip here to decompress our files" but it seems some people can't spend a little time to download the thing, so the site's admins had to revert to winRAR, sheesh talk about poor advertising hehe.

8. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Huh!? what's hard to understand once you get passed the installation prosess you just point & right click your archived file theb choose extract here then voila!!! :) :)

Oh & thanks for the bit about winRAR now supporting 7-zip man that could really help out alot :) :)