1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Roms and counting and missing Roms...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Asitaka, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Asitaka

Asitaka Active Member

Just curious, is it something to with the release groups, or what, but why is Romulation missing a 2345 (NDS rom) and what's up with the numbers getting all funky? So far all the releases line up with advancescene, but I'm just curious if/when the numbers will be back to being sequential again.

2. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Ugh, it's me who messed up the numbers, 2346 was supposed to be 2345. The ROM previously known as 2342 was a bad dump and thus shouldn't have a release ID, the release lists should pick up on it eventually, if not then too bad, we don't follow them, we follow a rule set and we don't really care what they list as the number.

3. paulypoos3

paulypoos3 New Member

I noticed this as well...shame because up until now the numbering has matched on all sites. I use the NO-INTRO dat.

I noticed a couple of roms were released and included in lists/sites etc but are now gone and maybe this is where the mess comes from, apparently they were underdumped and therefore BAD roms so have been removed from Advanscene..some sites continue to include/list them, they were

2339 - paws and claws - pet vet 2 (USA)
    2343 - Simple DS Series 37 - Arc De Minitsuku

Romunation STILL hosts the 2339 BAD rom so that explains why their roms after that are numbered 1 higher, apart from that problem it matches Advanscene, perhaps the site should consider removing rom 2339 as its bad and fix the numbering on roms after that...just a suggestion.

Can someone remind me what official order this site follows???

4. Seph

It will be removed when I see a it get a NUKE on a pre-site, not because a forum says so.

And as I just said above, we follow a rule set, not a site. Basically only commercial releases with a use gets a number, that means no homebrew, no demos, download stations or max media shit.

5. paulypoos3

paulypoos3 New Member

You know, I discovered this site a short time ago and really enjoy visiting/using it...I commend everyone involved with such a fab site. One of the nicest things about it is the lack of attitude, rudeness and pretentions but that last post was the usual old arrogance you get from top brass on romsites, was there really any need for the abruptness??? Surely this is just a discussion we are having on a subject and theres no need for you to get prickly merely because a decision is questioned.

All I was saying is that according to Advanscene the rom is NUKED, its not just something being said on a "forum" as you state but a respected release site. I personally dont know if it is or not but all you had to say was it will be looked into and should that be the case it will be removed but instead you take a pop at me. I didnt even mention demos, download stations etc etc so why even bring that into the discussion.

To be fair though, as mentioned I follow the NO-INTRO dat and theirs seems to be the best, the questionable rom is still included on that SO perhaps ADVANSCENE should look again at it, its all really a shame as now I will have to alter the numbers on the boxart etc I download from Mattloufs site...doh!

On a lighter note, perhaps you can explain to us what a pre-site is as I am rather new to this and not come across the term before, Im sure other people would like to know also.

6. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

A PRE-site is a site which is near the top of the supply chain, this is where release groups upload their releases. From the pre-sites, it filters down through the supply chain, eventually reaching romsites.

7. Seph

Also worth mentioning is that a PRE-site is an FTP, not a website.

I don't think I was being neither rude nor arrogant, most likely you're expecting me to and are looking for it thus interpreting what wasn't intended to be rude as being rude. It might have been abrupt but I'm a busy person and sometimes I answer with a short post, that doesn't mean it's meant to be rude or a "I don't care what you think" post. I'm sorry if you find me rude but there's really nothing I can do about it.

Well you did ask what order we followed and since we don't follow any specific order you will see on a site the only way for me to answer your question was to list which type of releases we include in our numbered collection. You really ought to be less defensive.

8. Asitaka

Asitaka Active Member

I'm sorry I started this discussion anyway. I have almost perfected an automated system where once I take it from a site, it unzips, trims if necessary, recompresses and moves to the right folder, then I let OfflineList rename it, so it really doesn't matter much to me what number is put on the actual file. What I was curious about was the fact that it was my first time to see romulation get there numbers out of sequential order, for a little bit, they had removed the second nuke but not renumbered the list that's what I was mainly concerned about. Advanscene is just a good place to get the lists.