1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Rom screwed up my SD card??

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by bwaybabs, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bwaybabs

bwaybabs Member

I downloaded Spirit Tracks a while back (not necessarily from this site, but at this point I don't really remember where.) This was before it was patched, but I didn't play it until tonight so I had no idea. Anyway, when it got to the train part, there was no gearbox so I turned off my DS to go ahead and download the patched version, but now my computer won't recognize my SD card!! I tried to delete the file IN the DS, but I get an error saying it can't be deleted. Please help! Is there any way to fix this without losing my progress in any of my other games??

2. ggrroohh

ggrroohh Well-Known Member

Your MicroSD might have been corrupted.
    If that's the case the only thing you can do now is reformat it.
    Did you by any chance backup your files earlier?

3. bwaybabs

bwaybabs Member

I did not. Because I'm a freaking IDIOT. *smacks self*

It's weird, because all the roms still work fine, except that one, and nothing shows up on the computer. Blah. I guess I'm gonna have to re-install everything. GAH. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how exactly does one go about reformatting an SD?

4. ggrroohh

ggrroohh Well-Known Member

Can you still play other games from that Micro SD on your DS?
    If yes,then its probably just your computer refusing to work properly.
    Try using another computer and see if you can access those files before you attempt to reformat.

5. bwaybabs

bwaybabs Member

Yes, I can still play other games. Oh, and btw, the Spirit Tracks file is showing up like 1W?|| for some reason. Anyway, it's just strange because my computer has never had issues with reading this SD before. I'll go ahead and try my laptop (though my laptop is having issues on its own anyway, but I'll try.)

6. caoruu

caoruu Active Member

if your pc dont recognize it try using a cellphone to force format it

7. bwaybabs

bwaybabs Member

Ok, I just tried it with my laptop. The good news: It shows up and I was able to back up my good roms. The bad news: I still cannot delete Spirit Tracks. In my ST folder there are now two folders and a few files that weren't there before (all which have funky symbol names); I cannot delete them individually, nor can I delete the Games folder. (I just cut/pasted all the good roms onto my desktop, so I figured I could just delete the Games folder and create it again, but I cannot delete it.)

I guess the only thing I can really do at this point is get another SD card and just copy everything to it because I have no idea how/don't think it's possible to delete the corrupted files.

8. caoruu

caoruu Active Member

maybe the sd card has a virus..?

9. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Sometimes they do that, sd cards don't have a large life span...especially when used for loading games constantly.

Try dumping games, it burns the car alot faster.

Viruses don't do this.

10. lugia543

lugia543 Guest

if you can, try formatting the sd card on your laptop. if you can't, go buy a new micro sd and throw in all the backed up files in there. remember to backup the .sav files too before putting it into your new card/reformatted card.

11. Jhon 591

Jhon 591 Well-Known Member

If you wish to format, backup anythink usefull, Click right on letter drive your microsd card is using and format will be on the list, then format it in fat32

12. bwaybabs

bwaybabs Member

Thank you all very much for your help! I backed up all my stuff and re-formatted. Haven't tried it in the DS yet, but right now I'm looking for a patched version of the game. Anyway, thanks so much again!!

13. Jonez001

Jonez001 Well-Known Member

Meaby your USB is broken?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.