1. This forum is in read-only mode.

ROM hacks included with ROM?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Natewlie, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

I can understand having all (or most regions) and an older game, but having more than three of the same ROM is pushing it. I'm sure this isn't happening with the newer ones but download any NES game and see what I'm saying. Once unzipped, most NES ROMs have about 8 different versions.

Now to my main point, why include ROM hacks? It makes it even harder to find the ROM I wanted in the first place. I download Super Mario Land 3 for the NES and it came with nearly 50 files, some of them were early versions and most of them were ROM hacks. Like Super Nazi Penis Cartel Freedom Fighters (where your character is part of the KKK, and the leaf is replaced by a dildo and once you collect it you turn into a penis). As _hilarious_ as it is, is it necessary to have all these files? It just makes it harder to find the one ROM I wanted to play in the first place. If I wanted a ROM hack I would've went somewhere that supplies them, but all I wanted was the game.

I'm sure it's not only the case with NES ROMs.

(Also in Super Nazi Penis Cartel Freedom Fighters, Bowser is a gaping anus.)

2. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why they are included, but it's VERY easy to spot the good dump.

Play the one with the [!] in the name. [!] is the tag for a Good Dump.

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

the rom archives are exactly as we got them, it wasn't us that added the hacks.

4. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

I know that, but it can be hard to spot with around 20 files in the archive. :\

Ah, whatever, I'll deal with it then.

Thanks guys.

5. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

If anything-I WANT MORE ROM HACKS!

...I wanted a certain super metroid hack-but the one inside couldn't patch right-all I get is a black screen on the pc emulator or my psp snes emulator :(

I think it's super metroid redesign...

6. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

You just wanted to see Samus completely nude when you beat the game ;)

7. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Nah-Pixels don't do it for me :D

But yeah-this patch requires a clean rom-and using the or [E] rom fails.

After the intro-the game goes black.

8. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

They include hacks because we host the retro good sets, meaning every ROM ever dumped. Removing hacks would probably be a huge amount of work. :)