1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Rom games

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by noles92, Dec 10, 2010.

1. noles92

noles92 New Member

I'm somewhat new to this and I have seen the game DS downloads and the size of these seem pretty small from 10 mb's and up. Is this correct? The Wii games are gig's in size. How can the DS games be so small?

Thanks for any clarity on this

2. will1008

will1008 Well-Known Member

For me, DS ROM sizes are smaller since DS = handheld and Wii = console.
    They have different graphics and all those specifications. And, last time I checked, console ISOs or ROMSs are naturally big (Ranging in 500+ MB to 1 GB)
    I still would like to hear the accurate answer from you console owners.

3. Zydaline

Zydaline Well-Known Member

Console games are bigger than handhelds. Though that's not always the case as there are some PSP ones that are 1.5+ gb (DJ Max was one of these, if I'm not mistaken.) So yeah, the DS files are one of the smaller ones. Less data = smaller size = less awesome graphics. Though that's not always the case. Recently I've noticed that games like Golden Sun and Pokemon are breaking the 200 mb size.

4. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

It depends on how much data is used in a game.

The only nes games could be 200kb at the most (or more-been ages since i checked mine).

The bigger games are on the ps3, around 40gb for god of war 3...50gb for metal gear solid 4.

The more stuff=bigger data size, hence why ds are so small (yet in comparison to the past, MASSIVE)

5. noles92

noles92 New Member

yeah, I guess I can see the differences in size(in terms of handheld vs console) and of the graphics will make a pretty big difference in file size as well, but you can almost put 10 -15 games on one DS Card (if you choose the correct games). That seems a bit crazy! It takes sometimes hours to DL Wii games and less then a minute or 2 for many of these ROM games. I was just surprised at the difference and thought maybe some of the games were bogus or something. But I guess not.

Thanks!

6. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

ROM cartridges have much lower data capacities than optical storage disks. The chips themselves are expensive to make and cost increases exponentially with capacity.

7. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Which means the 3ds is gonna be screwed with it's launch max of 2gb isnt it?

8. Loonylion

it means the cartridges will cost a lot more to produce.

9. robin2204

robin2204 New Member

Also - wii games are deliberately filled out to be 4.32gb no matter what size the actual program is - if you use some of the iso shrink software, you'll find that a lot of them can be shrunk to quite a lot less - smallest I've come across is about 250mb if I remember correctly.

10. Loonylion

thats the same as DS games, they get padded to fill the capacity of the chip.

11. lugia543

lugia543 Guest

ROM = 400 MB or smaller
    ISO = 500MB+

12. athemoe

athemoe Well-Known Member

Rom = cardridge

ISO = CD

13. sylar1000

sylar1000 Well-Known Member

This is correct

14. CloudBoii12

CloudBoii12 Well-Known Member

Sorry for necropost, but the 3DS will have a maximum cartridge capacity of 8GB upon launch.