1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Right to hang clothes outside to dry

Discussion in 'General News' started by damanali, Nov 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. damanali

damanali Well-Known Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20091118/us_nm/us_usa_laundry

If it saves money, why is it frowned upon? Also who here dries their undies outside? maybe the guys doesnt mind but i dont know any people/girls that dries their undies outside....

2. 1prinnydood

1prinnydood Guest

Now I understand why gun crime is so high in America, if someone told me I had no right to hang clothes up on my property I would get the shotgun.

3. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

My family still does his-does a better job as well than a dam dryer.

These complainers are annoying...however...

If you hang these up the front of your house, THEN they have a right to complain...

Hang them at the back :p

4. theunderling

theunderling Well-Known Member

And shes going to write a book,typical Yank

5. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

most people in england use clothes lines, we have two. (in different parts of the garden, we use them at different times of the year because one doesnt get much sun in winter)

6. damanali

damanali Well-Known Member

i tried also using the dryer and not hang it under the sun... its very different and kinda smell funny than when you dry it under the sun....

7. 1prinnydood

1prinnydood Guest

We still have fresh air where I live, clothes smell great when naturally dried.

8. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

I don't dry my clothes outside just because it is too dirty and there are so many trees that I don't get good sunlight or air movement in the area to dry them. It's also way too humid in the summer months to dry them quickly, and obviously freezing during the winter months.

But if I lived in a more outdoor-drying-friendly area I would likely do it. I did it when I lived in South Carolina.

I think state governments should pass laws to protect citizens' rights from community organizations like these that try to enforce such stupid restrictions on the people living in their area. I can understand not wanting underwear, bras, panties, etc hanging outdoors, and that could be hung indoors (like the woman said she did). But towels, blankets, shirts, pants, are all relatively heavy materials that hold lots of water and take a lot of energy to dry. They should be promoting people using the sun to dry them.

9. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Is it me or is she hanging these up in her front yard?

That is what it looks like.

10. TirithRR

Depending on the neighborhood, she may not have a back yard.

11. crazytuna

crazytuna Well-Known Member

or you could just hang them inside
    light up a fireplace, 2 chairs, a pole and then bam, you got a drying place :D

12. TirithRR

The point of the cloths line being you aren't burning or using any fuel to dry your clothing. You are just using the sun.

Burning gas or wood in your fireplace to dry your clothing defeats the point.

13. sylar1000

sylar1000 Well-Known Member

Good lord people find something to complain about all the time.

Oh no laundry, don't hang it outside, outside is 4 the peoplez!!!!

People need to learn not to let stupid crap bother them about what other people do on their own property.

14. fahsky

fahsky Well-Known Member

"Florida, Utah, Maine, Vermont, Colorado, and Hawaii have passed laws restricting the rights of local authorities to stop residents using clotheslines. Another five states are considering similar measures, said Lee, 35, a former lawyer who quit to run the non-profit group."

Yeee - I'm a Florida native living in Hawaii, & you're damn straight we're going to use our ample sunshine to dry our clothes on OUR land.

Community & housing associations are usually just mini-dictatorships of BS. I'd never want to own a home where I had to conform to a million super-strict rules, & basically have no say in how my property even looks. @_@ If someone buys into one & signs on the dotted line agreeing to all that crap, I say they've got themselves stuck in there. The guy that got fined for putting a clothesline in a common area deserved it - his porch or patio would make more sense. I saw an episode of Penn & Teller's Bulls*** where an elderly retired guy was arrested for having a dead spot in his lawn after having already replanted the damn thing about five times. To hell with that.

15. crazytuna

crazytuna Well-Known Member

not during winter, you can't especially hang your clothes outside here, unless you want to wear ice

16. sparxxraps

sparxxraps Well-Known Member

In my opnion if im payin for a house ill hang what i dang well want in my yard if i so choose id hang the deer i shoot out there and that is crap people should be able to do what they want on there own property long as it dont break any real law. I dont mean some pansy law the richy riches make becuase it bugs them.

17. Ali9

Ali9 Member

When I was a kid we lived in England and we used a line, and when we lived in Germany we also used a line, everyone did. When my parents found out I had bad allergies we had to stop using a line to dry anything of mine since allergens would stick to the wet fibers and dry on the clothes. I only use a dryer now, but I have one of the most energy efficient models I can get.

HOWEVER If the kids are at my house in the summer you are darn right they are gonna hang their wet suits and towels on the line on the pool deck. (There are boy and girl dressing rooms built at opposite ends of the deck). No way in heck they are dripping all that water thru my house >_< .

We have 40 towels out there, yes 40, and they have used the whole darn lot after a pool party more than once. Can you imagine how much power that would take to dryer dry them all?? I do wash them fairly regularly and dry them inside to keep em clean, but NOT every time.

However I live at the cross roads of nowhere and nothing and have signs posted that trespassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again. I mean my drive way is 1/4 mile long. Anyone complaining about a cloths line out here has bigger problems to deal with... like explaining how they can see the line in the first place...

as far as living in a close area with many neighbors that is something that should be worked out and discussed among them. Surly reasonable people can come to SOME sort of civil agreement...

18. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

If it had a backyard like I assumed I'd be complainign as well, it never mentioned anything about it.

But if my old house which had only 10 metere across and 2 meters to the wall where clotchs can be hanged then I think she needs to re-evaluate where she is hanging.

Even inside can work-just put them near a window around the back...

But this is in america, in australia everyone has a backyard-unless it was a flat, heck my old house technically didn't have a real sized backyard yet it made do.

19. Sythian

Sythian Well-Known Member

Honestly I still hang my clothing up in the backyard on the clothes line, every last bit from shirts to pants, blankets and sheets to underwear and towels. I don't see the big deal. From the picture on this article it seems she's hanging it out the front which is a little bit odd I guess but it's not like someone's clothing is going to be offensive. Things like underwear, bra's etc... No big deal, they're used to cover up the body, not display what is underneath so there is nothing offensive about it.

Some people will just pick on anything at all to make a scene and be heard

20. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

i don't like to hang clothes outside, but its free instead of paying for electricity. my family only does it in the summer and spring cause where i live in the US it's usually really wet in autumn and too cold at times. and in the winter the clothes would freeze.

so it's good for half of the year essentially!

it's not a big deal to hang clothes outside. one of my friends once asked me why we did it and thought that we didn't have a dryer.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.