1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Review Section Upgrade

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by thebass324, Jul 12, 2008.

1. thebass324

thebass324 Well-Known Member

Well, the review section is starting to fill up faster and faster which makes harder and harder just to casually glance through at games. I think it's time that it gets subsections based on the games system similar to the gaming lounge and trading station, this way if someone decides "Hey, I need a new SNES game to play!" they can go straight to those games specifically and look around there for a bit. Also, if it's possible, maybe the total score could be another column in the review section next to number of replies and views.

2. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

This would be a good idea, if Game Reviews got a LOT more reviews.

3. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Hey, not a bad idea!

Especially if you intend to do reviews for a specific system only :)

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I'll consider the first idea, the second would likely involve a considerable amount of work, as SMF would need to be hacked.

5. thebass324

Yeah I had a feeling that the second idea would be a pain in the ass. A new column would have to be added for this section specifically, which would be a fair amount of coding. Also, there would have to be a way to have the score go straight to it, which would mean creating some sort of form for the reviewer to fill out and it would be inserted, or one of the mods would have to add it manually.

For now also, maybe it could just be divided up like gaming lounge between Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, PC, and other, it's more or less preparation for the future as we seem to get a new reviewer or two every month so the section is slowly gaining momentum. Now that I think about it, if the only thing that's on the first page besides the section links is the guidelines for reviews sticky then people might be more likely to read it before review so that we don't always have to reply with needs more content, needs a total score, needs screenshots, etc.

6. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

an alternative would be for users to include the score in the title

[X360] (Call of Duty 4) <49/50> - Almo.

?

7. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

now that i have my PSP hacked, expect quite a few PSP game reviews.

8. anandjones

Yeah, that would be a better idea instead of changing SMF for one little addition to the title.

9. kanwarrulz_123

kanwarrulz_123 Well-Known Member

Yeah, great idea, I always have difficulty finding reviews.

10. thebass324

I like that idea, it would be much more simple and convenient.

11. insanecrazy07

however, if you have child boards for each system, there would be no point to putting [X360] at the front.

i think it should be by the big three companies.
    Nintendo
    Sony
    Microsoft

that way we don't have a million child boards.
    NES
    SNES
    PSX
    N64
    Gamecube
    PS2
    XBOX
    XBOX360
    Wii
    PS3
    PSP
    PSX-PSP
    NDS
    GBA
    GBC
    GB
    PC

and then like the miscellaneous section with atari, neo geo, sega, etc.

12. anandjones

Yeah, it would be categorized like that anyway, just like the Gaming Lounge, although Microsoft would probably be named PC.

13. insanecrazy07

Microsoft has XBOX and XBOX 360 and PC.

14. anandjones

Ah, I guess you're right.