1. This forum is in read-only mode.

restricting updates on 3ds xl

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by bigfatlisa, Jan 9, 2013.

1. bigfatlisa

bigfatlisa Active Member

Hi I just upgraded me and my boy to the xl and can't work out how to parental control updates. I did it before on the normal 3ds but I traded them in and can't work it out. Can anyone help please?
    We have flash carts for 4.5 but they are R4i SDHC and we all know how long they take to update their carts so I don't want to buy a new cart if my 4 year old updates his by mistake the next time :(
    Thanks in advance

Lisa

2. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

The official tutorial for the above function in question : CLICK HERE TO GO TO SITE

[quote author=Nintendo.co.uk]
    To use Parental Controls or to change the settings after the initial setup has been completed, open the System Settings from the HOME Menu and select PARENTAL CONTROLS. Follow the on-screen instructions.

Choose a PIN code to ensure that your child cannot change the settings you made.

Touch DISPLAY OF 3D IMAGES to disable the 3D feature. The use of the 3D feature by children aged six and under may cause vision damage. It is highly recommended that only children over six should use the system in 3D mode.

Make sure you select DONE to save your settings.
    [/quote]

3. bigfatlisa

bigfatlisa Active Member

Thanks, I just watched the video. I guess the answer is that you can't restrict updates, you just have to either stop it going on line or wait til he learns how to read and explain what happens if you do update....

4. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Yes. It is impossible to restrict the update.
    Most likely explain that he shouldn't update or he wont be able to play his favourite games.

An even better idea would be to make sure he goes to the flashcard menu. If a request to update pops up, simply cancel it yourself.

5. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

Another is to disable the home wireless router or password it, or make sure the WFC settings (wireless configuration inside the DS) is cleared. Surely he doesn't know how to configure the IP-DNS on his own, without parents' assistance. But there's a problem for those playing 3DS games, some games are said to always ask for the player to go online for a system update check before getting to play the game. If there's an update for the console, the player will be forced to upgrade it first before given access to the game.

6. bigfatlisa

bigfatlisa Active Member

Thanks guys, he uses the on line as we use spot pass between the consoles, our miis meet each other ha ha! I just need to remember to turn the wifi off when we finish.