1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Replacing my R4

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by mlsterben, Mar 8, 2010.

1. mlsterben

mlsterben Member

With the release of the new Sonic Classic Collection, I can now add another game to my list of games that I can't play because of R4 compatibility (with games like Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks...). Honestly, I'm really sick of it and I think it's time to get a new, more versatile card.

What do you guys suggest? The only one I know about is CycloDS, I think, which may be misspelled....

I'm open for suggestions!

2. robertus23

robertus23 New Member

With the release of the new Sonic Classic Collection, I can now add another game to my list of games that I can't play because of R4 compatibility (with games like Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks...). Honestly, I'm really sick of it

i have an r4 and played legend of zelda spirit tracks what are you talking about cant play spirit track on r4....? (ever thought of pressing the r button when at the main screen where the games are)

just wait for the patches to come out it maybe awhile it may not be but who cares im sure you have a life that doesnt involve you staring at the screen every five seconds be patient.

i suggest you buy the games that you want to play so desperately.

3. miros

miros Well-Known Member

Or...

You could purchase an Acekard 2i that offers compatibility with all of those games listed above without requiring patching. If you have more questions, just ask.
    miros

4. Fredbox

Fredbox Well-Known Member

Wow, you were "helpful"...

The CycloDS is a very good card (has features like real time saving, slow motion and allowing you to view a readme without quitting the game), but it's not the cheapest and it won't ever work on the DSi.
    If you want a card that will work on the DSi then the Acekard 2i is the best (I dunno about the features but the best firmware is the unofficial one called AKAIO), and it'll work on the DS Lite too. It's also cheaper.

So either a CycloDS (quite expensive but very quick firmware updates and some very nice features),
    or an Acekard 2i (good unofficial firmware, cheaper, works on all types of DS).

5. mlsterben

mlsterben Member

Well, I don't plan on getting a DSi any time soon.

Is cheating on those cards simple? If I want to add codes on my R4, I have to download a huge cheat file, find the games I want, and copy those into the cheat.dat file on the card. Do either cards have simpler options?

P.S. Robertus23, you kind of missed the point entirely.

6. ollie809

ollie809 Active Member

i have a acekard 2 using akio firmware. and cheating is very easy. most games especially ones from this site have large cheat databases already to use. all you have to do is select what cheats you want before you start the game. (also i am told that updating and putting your own cheats is simple to but i havent needed to do so)

7. xakota

xakota Well-Known Member

I've played every game you listed on my R4 card. It's just a manner of putting in some effort.
    M&L: YSMenu
    Spirit Tracks: Patch+YSMenu.

Not sure about Sonic, i haven't tried it.

But eventually the AP will probably be perfect and YSMenu probably won't be able to handle it.
    So i suggest waiting for the Supercard 2.

8. mlsterben

mlsterben Member

I've tried installing YSMenu, but either I couldn't find the right website or I could never get it to work.
    What's Supercard 2? Or 1, for that matter...

9. luvelias

luvelias Well-Known Member

I happen to still have the supercard dstwo link still on my clipboard...so http://gbatemp.net/index.php?s=40d4881ca3b8c6f3de3ee769a3b44101&showtopic=192112 lol thats the supercard dstwo

10. mlsterben

mlsterben Member

...................I think I'll wait for that. :eek:

11. slingshot182

slingshot182 Well-Known Member

Yes, its very nice, with the ability to play GBA games, however I don't think there is a confirmed release date.

12. padfoot

padfoot Well-Known Member

i had the same idea this week man.
    i had an r4i, and i was sick of it not working with the new games. i bought 3 acekard 2i's and i am so very happy with the choice. you can personalise the actual menu, which is neat. and cheating is very very easy. i've found the support for acekard is top notch, incl. updates. and i've been playing games i couldn't like mario and luigi, etc. couldn't recommend it any more.
    good luck in choosing.

13. mlsterben

mlsterben Member

Why would you need 3 Acekards? :eek:

So here's what I decided: If I can find a cheap site to buy an Acekard in England (hooray studying abroad! That's also why I'm not buying games.) I'll order one. Then, when the Supercard DSTWO is released, I'll get that.

Would I need to buy the MicroSD card -> USB thing if I already have the R4 one? Just trying to save a few dolars (er, pounds) here. :)

Does that sound like a wise pair of investments?

14. luvelias

luvelias Well-Known Member

If you already have a micro sd reader then no. It works for all micro sds.

I say thats a good plan though. Don't know where you could get it from over there. DX ships worldwide but it takes forever. On week one for waiting for mine. Takes about 2-3

15. mlsterben

mlsterben Member

According to the Acekard website, there are a few places that sell in England. Hopefully I can get my Sonic fix on sooner rather than later...

16. ollie809

ollie809 Active Member

http://www.hanger.org.uk/h/hangershop/products/AceKard-2i-For-NDS-&-DSi-%7C-UK-STOCK.html

first site on a google search for uk acekard2s altho you can get them cheaper from other sites mine cost £15 but the site i used has been taken down or so it seams

http://www.dsadapter.com/

17. Jack4505

Jack4505 Active Member

I want to replace my R4 Ultra and want the top of the line flash cart. What is the best one and what one will have the 100% comparability?

18. DragonQuester

DragonQuester Well-Known Member

You can play Spirit Tracks with YSMenu, but thats basically it

And Acekard is probably your best bet

19. Jack4505

Jack4505 Active Member

I heard that CycloDS was the best for compatibility.

20. lingwiloke

lingwiloke Member

I've finished playing the spirit tracks on my R4 as well, 1.18 with no YsMenu, even!!
    I don't think the R4 is that helpless, I've been able to play mostly everything even some new stuff with no problem/. Sure you got to spend some extra time and energy looking for patches, or patch it yourself, but it's not that bad.

However, if you're going to get a new card I think Acekard2i sounds pretty good.
    I'm thinking of getting one myself just in case I upgrade to a DSi in near future.

Try eBay or whatever online auction sites they have locally, I found there are always people importing these cards and selling it on there.