1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Renaming ROMs

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Lycanthrokeith, Feb 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello, and thanks in advance for any help.
    I just wanted to know, in general, if emulators will still recognize ROMs that have been renamed. My intent is to rename my ROM collection so when viewed in Windows Explorer they are in alphabetical order, instead of by number.
    This largely pertains to ROMs for use with DeSmuME, though I have wondered about this for ROMs in general.

2. slingshot182

slingshot182 Well-Known Member

Yep, its ok to re-name them, just make sure the extension is still correct for the type of game it is.

3. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

You will have to rename ALL of the save files as well unfortunately...

4. slingshot182

Yes, if you already have made a .SAV file then you will need to make sure it has the same name as its corresponding game.

5. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Example.

Ace.nds

Ace.nds.sav OR Ace.sav

That way it'll work, renaming just the rom means the sav file will be recognised for a seperate game.

6. Excellent. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

7. slingshot182

Glad we could help. :)

8. Mozzzzii

Mozzzzii Well-Known Member

Another thing...

not sure if it applies to emultors to be sure

If you rename a file to just one word with no spaces like tetris.nds on some flashcarts the save file created will be TETRIS.SAV

the TETRIS.SAV in capitals causes the game not to save... it needs to be tetris.sav in lowercase to be identical to the .nds file

But all this maybe irrelavent to you using an emulator.... but worth mentioning

9. stirgo1212

stirgo1212 Well-Known Member

Just remember to put ".nds" at the end of your file name :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.