1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Regenerating a HDD

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by insanecrazy07, Feb 4, 2011.

1. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

Last year my WD 320GB myPassport took a dump on me and decided to stop working.

I've tried hitting it, spinning it, freezing it, and nothing has worked.
    This is my last ditch attempt at reviving the HDD, hopefully to working condition. If not, then it's a nice paperweight.

The program I am using is called HDD Regenerator 2011. It's the only program that has even detected that a HDD has been plugged in, and even my other HDD managing software (EASEUS Partition Master) won't detect it.

So far the rebuilding process is really slow since almost every single sector is bad. Hopefully this will fix the issue and this will serve as a Wii HDD if all goes well.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I no longer use this program. It is so slow that on a typical hard disks these days it just isnt worth the time it takes to run

What I have found, however, is that if there is a significant number of bad sectors, or any unfixable bad sectors, you replace the disk.

3. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm just seeing if it can fix itself using the program. If not, then it's not a loss to me.

I keep my computer on almost all of the time and I'm able to do other stuff while it's going so even though it's extremely slow, I'm again not at a loss here besides a USB port for a few days.

If all goes well, I have another ~300 GB to use up, but if not then I'm back to where I started.
    Post Merge: [time]1296884407[/time]
    Oh, and do you know of a program that's faster than this one? I didn't think it would be like dial-up slow...