1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Regarding repetitive posts for the same thing

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by cjdogger, Feb 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

Things like TWEWY not working on emulators and so-and-so game not working as they need a patch are so repetitive...
    I thought i'd just quote myself for ease of repetive writing

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

we know, but we really can't do anything about it. people either don't read stickies or ignore them.

3. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

One thing I can say is that the search Function isn't spot on at times.

As an example, a few days ago I was searching for this one particular post in a thread, problem is I can't remember on which thread it was. I was looking for the post of a member that had links to where one can download Windows Vista themes/skins for Windows XP. I was able to find correspondence posts by myself, equiteypetey & anandjones on "Post a screenshot of your desktop Wallpaper" thread referring to anand having a Vista theme on his XP machine, but that's not what I was looking for.

Also, if you look at the names of the people who do post help topics to things that were answered or were given solutions to before, you'll realise that most of them are one time topic starters or posters. They're not here to be a part of the community per se, they just want their games to run properly. And yes, although it is annoying, we still should answer their querries, even if it's just to point them to the appropriate thread/s that will help them fix the issues on their own :)

There's no need to badmouth these people, otherwise they'll turn their backs on the site :)

4. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

But if there were warnings on the download page when you pick which server then this problem could be averted

5. Loonylion

game comments page says 'comments are not for support requests, use the forum' immediately above the comment box, yet the game comments are still full of support requests.

6. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

I guess there is no cure to general ignorance :-\

7. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

Exactly. No need in posting stickies or something, people will just skip them fast.

8. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Okay here's something I just thought of:

How about for ROMs that have some emulation &/or Flashcart issues, like Chrono Trigger DS & The World Ends with you, and games with patch fixes like Soma Bringer. Instead of the usual page forwarding system (sorry I can't think of the proper term for it), where a member would do this:

1. Select a ROM/ISO from a list of available files.
    2. Clicking on a title of a game on the list of games page will bring them to the game info page, where the "download" button is found.
    3. Clicking on "Download" will bring them to the actual download page where the game can be downloaded from either download server links.

How about for games with issues, after clicking the download button on the game info page instead of going directly to the main downloads page a new "Wait this game has problems running on an emulator/flashcart" info page will be presented to people downloading said game. On this new page, information on the issue (what problems users will encounter once the game is loaded etcetera) will be fully discussed as well as links to threads that fully solves the issue on the forum. That way they can be informed beforehand about what to expect once they load up a problematic ROM & are given immediate remedies right before they even download the game.

Then once they understood what to do (assuming the forum links where very helpful & easy enough to understand), they can then proceed to download the game, via "I understand that this game has issues on my flashcart/emulator & have read through the tips on how to run this game properly" button.

I know there's still a chance of people ignoring this, but atleast it "might" help them read up more on previously posted topics & not just start new ones, even for a slim chance.

:)

9. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

That's something what I was hinting at; the download page telling people the info and a link to the forum page in big bold red letters and then the download link below

10. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

I don't think people like you should worry about the constant topics.

Okay idea, however it wouldn't be applied to every ROM (if they worked fine).

11. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

An easy way to solve some of this would be for Seph/loony to make a news post on the main page when a new popular rom is released that has issues, with a guide of how to fix/patch the issue and a link to ONE support thread for that game. Though that adds workload for the admins, not to mention clog up the news page. Also im sure we would still get a heap of people who wouldnt read it.

Though I do have to say I almost started killing people after the 50th chronotrigger thread.

Also this is more of a mod issue and not a general user issue, and yes ive posted about it ages ago in the mod board, but really theres shit all we can do.

12. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

And you think people like you should? Your an immature little kid and you always try to rip people's post... Uncool man...
    And RomU isn't only about moderators and admins, it's a community... Look on wikipedia if you don't know what it means...
    Also look up dominant impulses, it seems you have it... You probably try to overcompensate or something

13. Loonylion

cjdogger no need to attack anand; he was pointing out that it is a problem for the staff to deal with, although as has been said several times, there is not a whole lot can be done about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.