1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Red rings

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by XtremeBlade, Apr 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XtremeBlade

XtremeBlade Well-Known Member

I just got red rings and it fucking hurts.

2. jazzasidari

jazzasidari Well-Known Member

whats red rings?

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

a dead xbox.

4. jazzasidari

jazzasidari Well-Known Member

oh OK
    unlucky but xbox's have been riddled with mechanical errors i know one kid has had 3 xbox 360 in the 2 years

5. equitypetey

equitypetey Well-Known Member

just fix it there are millions of guids to doing it and its not that hard i bought mine off of ebay dead and fixed it and its still going

6. XtremeBlade

I'm shit at that kind of stuff so I'm gonna have to send it off to get repaired but it just the thought that no xbox for anytime ranging from a few days to months.

7. faune

faune Well-Known Member

I'm guessing this is for the 360? Microsoft has a 3-year warranty for all 360's who red ring- considering that 360's haven't been out that long (I think) you should be covered. My boyfriend very recently had to send his xbox off for red rings, ORANGE rings, and a bunch of other weird issues.

Anyway I think you can make the request online (I don't know exactly where, but try going to xbox's website, 'Support', and then 'Check Repair Status'). They will ship you a box with a label, and shipping the console to them is free. If they can't repair your xbox, they will send you a BRAND NEW one. They'll also send you a free one month card with your console when it's returned.

If you decide to do this, make sure you read the instructions on how to package your xbox before shipping it off. You have to remove the harddrive and the faceplate or you most likely won't get them back.

EDIT-

My boyfriend got his back in less than a week, and a day before the estimated return date. Also, if you try to fix it yourself or let someone else try to fix it outside of Microsoft, it'll void the warranty, meaning.. if you continue to have problems, you're screwed. So definitely send it back, it's really well worth the wait. :)

8. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

I actually got three red rings once with my old ecksbawks... Messed around with the cables at the back and it was working fine

9. XtremeBlade

I'll just send mine of, also when one of my friends got the red rings he sent it off to get repaired and when he got it back he got red rings again within the same week, now that's just unfortunate.

10. faune

faune Well-Known Member

If he sends it back again, they're more than likely to just give him a brand new xbox.

11. XtremeBlade

Yeah, he did and they said they were sorry and gave him a three month card.

12. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Faune, they always do that. It's better if you get a new model, they're a lot more prone to any redrings.

13. CameronJHayes

CameronJHayes Well-Known Member

Gotta red ring too, my model is 6-6-06

14. faune

faune Well-Known Member

I have a fairly new Elite (I bought it, about.. a month ago, or so?) And it has a few other issues, with simply loading the dashboard. Sometimes it won't load the dashboard at all. :/ Is that weird?

15. XtremeBlade

I wouldn't consider that a huge problem but maybe a small software/hardware issue.

16. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

Oh the irony...

17. Hamtaro881

Hamtaro881 New Member

The red ring I've found happens less often with the Arcade than the elite or pro. I just bought an arcade and stuck a hard drive on it, my friends all did the same and theirs' has been find without an issue for 3 years.

Keeping your Xbox 360 properly ventilated is also a good way to prevent this from happening. Make sure your Xbox 360 is not stuck between a bunch of stuff, or in an enclosed area. (This INCLUDES special T.V. cabinets) Also do NOT set it on a carpet. Although it seems like a good idea, it's about the equivalent to putting a laptop on a carpet, all it allows it to do is heat up as the carpet absorbs heat.

It's also a good idea to keep your system off of the ground. Set it on a stand of some kind.

Also for people's Xbox 360s running slow:

Some games use a caching system to load due to their disk size being so large, such as The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, or Fallout 3. This caching can eventually get scattered causing your Xbox 360 to load the games, or other games slowly. To clear this caching if you own such games is to hold down the "A" button during the start up of such games until you see the logo of the company that makes it pop up. This has only been reported officially to work with The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, and Fallout 3, however some have made unofficial reports of it working with other games.

Lastly remember to maintain your system. Dust can really stop things from reading quickly or reading at all. Disk cleaners will be a great thing to invest in, and you can also buy a disk tray cleaner which will clean the eye of your disk drive.

If you're looking to get some of the dust out of your system itself, I recommend using some of those keyboard cleaning cans. They are pressurized air in a can with a long skinny nozzle. You can use it to blow out and dislodge dust or other particles within the Xbox 360.

Taking it apart is not advised unless you either don't care about warranties or your warranty is expired.

If you ARE going to take it apart, please consult others who have done so, as some guides online are made as jokes to get people to break their Xbox 360, so it's a good idea to contact someone who has actually done it before.

Supposedly the new "Jasper chip," is going to fix this problem, but I wouldn't hold those words to be true just yet.

I hope this was helpful to anyone who is in need of it.

18. equitypetey

its super easy to open a 360 and unless your a tard you can't break it opening it.

also you forgot to mention that you should not have it in the vertical position as it won't get as much air flow (if you have opened one you'd know what i'm on about).

19. XtremeBlade

I decided to just ring up microsoft, there trying to charge me £100 for repair, fuck that I'm just getting a new one.

20. equitypetey

put your broken one on ebay (console only) you can get money for it and then you can buy a console only off of there too
    cheap option, ok you get a refurbished one but its less likely to break then a new one as they will have the x-clamp mod

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.