1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Red Alert! DNS Flaw Revealed

Discussion in 'General News' started by cjdogger, Jul 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

Red Alert! DNS Flaw Revealed
    Security researchers warn users to patch immediately, as technical details to exploit a widespread DNS vulnerability were disclosed online.
    "Patch. Today. Now. Yes, stay late."
    That's the word from security researcher Dan Kaminsky, who recently presided over an unprecedented effort to coordinate a fix for a DNS vulnerability across more than 80 software and hardware vendors.
    And now the danger flare has been fired to warn computer users everywhere that the risk is real. Technical details about how one might exploit the vulnerability have been disclosed.
    The domain name system translates domain names, like "informationweek.com," into numeric IP addresses and vice versa. The DNS flaw, if exploited, allows what is known as DNS cache poisoning. This involves remapping domain names to different, potentially malicious servers.
    US-CERT on Monday warned: "Technical details regarding this vulnerability have been posted to public Web sites. Attackers could use these details to construct exploit code. Users are encouraged to patch vulnerable systems immediately."
    "This is a very serious situation, and can possibly lead to widespread and targeted attacks which hijack sensitive information by redirecting legitimate traffic to fraudulent Web sites, due to incorrect (fraudulent) information being injected into the vulnerable caching nameserver(s)," Trend Micro security researcher Paul Ferguson said in a blog post.
    Kaminsky has been planning to present details about the DNS vulnerability at the Black Hat security conference in two weeks.
    Security researchers just couldn't wait, however, and have been speculating about the nature of Kaminsky's findings.
    On Monday, one such researcher, Halvar Flake, posted his guess about how the DNS vulnerability worked on his blog.
    A researcher at Matasano Security then corrected some of the details in a blog post of his own, and the cat was out of the bag.
    The post on the Matasano blog was promptly unpublished and replaced with an apology from Thomas Ptacek, a principal at the company.
    "Earlier today, a security researcher posted their hypothesis regarding Dan Kaminsky's DNS finding," said Ptacek. "Shortly afterwards, when the story began getting traction, a post appeared on our blog about that hypothesis. It was posted in error. We regret that it ran. We removed it from the blog as soon as we saw it. Unfortunately, it takes only seconds for Internet publications to spread. We dropped the ball here."
    Indeed, removing content from the Internet is easier said than done. The flaw is now known and, for those in the security community who missed it, the withdrawn post has been mirrored.
    So all that's left for those using vulnerable versions of DNS software is to patch.
    If they haven't already, the world's cybercriminals soon will be scanning for vulnerable sites, cloning them, adding malware, and then redirecting every would-be visitor to their trap. Or perhaps they'll just decide they'd like to receive all your e-mail.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

microsoft released a patch for this ages ago, and predictably anyone who installed it found themselves unable to connect to the net.

3. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

So, loony coming from someone who's knowledgeable in such matters, what would be the best course of action? Do we need to get a hold of this patch or not? Or to be a little specific, do low level internet users such as myself, that is people who only go to select sites & not do major internet activities like hosting a website or e-business need to fret?

4. Loonylion

don't get the patch if you use zone alarm firewall, otherwise you should be OK to get it. This problem affects everyone, because you could be redirected to a scam site by this flaw.

5. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Thanks

Why do people even go to great lengths just to muck up the net anyway? Sure in some instance it's to get back at someone or some organizations, but why bother the rest of the world? I remember those great virus & worm outbreaks a few years back, surely they can't benefit from it except maybe for their names forever written in history as someone who messed up the net.

6. Loonylion

they can make a lot of money from exploiting PCs to send spam, or cripple major companies.

7. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

What dic*s, I hope I'm safe enough.

8. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

It should be okay for the sites that have many users because the problem would be solved but small websites would be at risk, I hope that answers your question Cahos...

9. Loonylion

no, the larger the site is, the more likely it is to be targeted.

10. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

Actually the site would be fixed faster, with more people reporting it....

11. Loonylion

its not the site that needs fixing...

12. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

It's just an ip redirector, a coder (no pun intended) should be able to undo this...

13. Loonylion

its more complex than a mere IP redirect, it involves injecting fake DNS records into the DNS cache.

14. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

Why would they want to do it anyway?

15. Loonylion

so they can rob people by pretending to be online banking sites etc. If they hijack the DNS of the legitimate site, it is exceptionally difficult to prove its not the legitimate site.

16. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

where would i get this patch?

edit: i see you need windows update, but mine hasn't run in a long time.

it's sad when i have to download xp sp3 via firefox and not IE6. IE won't load it. lol

17. Loonylion

www.windizupdate.com <- windows update through firefox.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.