1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Recomendations instead of similar games.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by J_BYYX, Aug 13, 2009.

1. J_BYYX

J_BYYX New Member

It's really funny when you see puzzle game in similar games section for racing game...
    So l suggest to add recommendations system (like in anime-planet). For example:
    user writes why that game similar for another game, then others users agree with him or not...

2. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

It wouldn't be any better, current system is based on the information available, there there are genres specified then it uses that, otherwise it uses the name of the file.

With the recommendations by users there'd still need to be user input before it would be useful.

3. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

I think it should be automated similar to store sites. Users that have downloaded this have also downloaded <Game Name Here>

Where it would just be based off of user downloads, like 75% of the users that downloaded this game have downloaded this one as well, etc.

I don't know if the site keeps track of user downloads like that though, so it might not work.

4. tehuber1337

tehuber1337 Well-Known Member

I don't think keeping track of who downloads what will be a good idea. The last thing pirates need is evidence of their piracy.

5. TirithRR

Take the tinfoil hat off ;)

I'm sure there are records of everything you downloaded somewhere on the internet, even if it isn't stored on these servers exactly. So it doesn't really matter.

6. tehuber1337

Can't blame someone for wanting to be cautious.

Not that I have anything to fear, of course...

7. TirithRR

Also, it wouldn't have to tie it directly to the user, just a marker on "same user download" or something. I'm sure there are ways to do it without tracking the person directly. Whether these ways are worth it or not is up to Seph though.

Also, I'm pretty sure that last year the servers tracked what you downloaded, because I remember being able to go into my profile and go back and see exactly what days I downloaded what games. I believe it was removed, but it was nice to go back and view your history. That same thing could be used in this case as an "If you like this, other used also downloaded this" recommendation.

8. Seph

We have a point system, of course we log everything you download. The problem with having an "other users downloaded this" feature is that the maths involved in that isn't easy and I personally hate doing maths.

9. marcy

marcy Guest

I bother it's too hard math for me. :)
    I love math, it can simplify everything. :D

How should that work?
    ?? If User1 downloaded game A, B and D and User2 downloaded game A, B, C and D, then User1 may like game C, also. ??

10. tehuber1337

Now translate that into maths.

11. marcy

marcy Guest

{set of what User1 may also like} := {set of what User2 downloaded}/{set of what User1 downloaded}

Surely the whole thing is more complex than just this little example, but somehow I'm confident...

EDIT: with '/' I mean minus operator for sets

12. Seph

The concept is called collaborative filtering, there exists plenty of libraries to handle it really, so I wouldn't have to touch much maths at all. It's just a bad excuse for not doing it, I don't really think it will add that much value.

13. MadmanNero

MadmanNero Well-Known Member

Bah. Even IF something like this was to occur people would still post up for [insert console name here] recomendations. Usually if I find I game I like and I want to see if there is something that plays similar to it I just search on a big name game review site like IGN or Gamespot and they list other games on the side under the guise of "If you liked this you might like these too". Usually doesn't pan out well, but it works.