1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Recipe Sharing/ Cooking Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by toffster92, Sep 25, 2010.

1. toffster92

toffster92 Well-Known Member

I found out recently that I have a penchant for cooking and decided to share some of my recipes with the good people of RomU.
    I also made this in hopes to learn new recipes from people from different countries.

So, If you want to share a recipe, Learn a new one, or just want to check out the dishes of other countries...
    Post Here!

Note: When I'm adding ingredients when cooking, I just "eyeball" the dish and add the amount needed. As such, some of the recipes I have may not have measurements

The first recipe I want to share is a dish from a typical Filipino family dinner. It's called the Afritada or meat in tomato sauce stew. It's a very hearty dish, thick and warm and perfect for the upcoming Fall season.

Ingredients:

* 1 1/2 pounds of pork belly (you may use Chicken or Beef to substitute) - Cut into cubes
    * 4 - 6 Potatoes (the number of potatoes depends on their sizes, add or detract as needed) - Peeled and quartered
    * 2 - 4 Carrots (again, same as the potatoes. You may use baby carrots too if you wish) - Peeled and quartered
    * 1 medium sized onion - Chopped
    * Half a head of medium sized garlic - Minced
    * 1 small Green Pepper - cut into quarters
    * 1 small Red Pepper - cut into quarters
    * A medium can/ jar of Tomato sauce
    * 3 tbsp Oil
    * Salt
    * Pepper
    * Water

Optional:

* 1/4 Bag of Green Peas
    * 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
    * Chicken/Pork/Beef Broth (type of broth, of course, depends on what meat you use)
    * 1 Packet of Afritada Mix (can be bought at most Filipino stores. Use this if you do not have tomato sauce)

Directions:

1.) Heat a cooking pot/ wok and add the oil. Saute' the Garlic and onions until onions turn translucent.
    2.) Add the meat and saute' until brown. Add some salt and pepper *You may wish to add the soy sauce here to bring out the flavor
    3.) After the meat has browned, add water until the meat is fully submerged. Let simmer for 8 - 12 minutes or until meat is slightly tender. *To give the dish even more flavor, use the broth instead of water
    4.) Add the tomato sauce, stir, and let simmer partially covered until meat is cooked. *If you do not have tomato sauce, Use the Afritada Mix
    5.) When meat is cooked/ tender, add the Carrots and potatoes and simmer until cooked. *You may also add green peas for more veggies and to balance out the colors
    6.) Add the Bell peppers during the last 10 minutes of cooking.

Serve Hot, and Enjoy!

Serves 5 - 8 people
    Preparation Time: 20 mins
    Cooking time: 30 - 45 mins

Share your recipes everyone! And happy eating!
    Post Merge: [time]1285467224[/time]
    just finished making dinner for the family.

Beef soup w/ corn on the cob
    and
    Sweet Chili glazed Baby back ribs. I'll share those recipes some other day.

2. doughboy

doughboy Guest

[​IMG]
    the only thing I know how to make are quesadillas:
    http://www.hulu.com/watch/9172/napoleon-dynamite-make-yourself-a-dang-quesadilla

3. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Here ya go OP! :)

4. toffster92

toffster92 Well-Known Member

Those all look great Cahos! I'll try making them if I can scrounge up the ingredients.