1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Received them today and need help with the r4i

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by HOPEICAN, Jun 16, 2012.

1. HOPEICAN

HOPEICAN Active Member

That was super fast shipping. I wasn't expecting them until the end of the month.

Well I purchased two r4 revolutions for the ds lites only and they are working nicely so far. They both have 2gb sandisk sd's and only hold about 26 games, but not bad for someone starting out. I'm just happy they are working so far.

Now, the R4i Gold is something that I can't figure out how to get rid of the error message on the DSi. I don't know if there is anything other then the latest wood firmware to download but that is all I did and it loaded on the ds lites and a working DSi with 1.2

What steps would I need to take to get rid of the error message on the dsi? I tried reading the most recent thread about the AKAIO and there is a link there in a response that I watched but don't have that update feature on the wood firmware that I could find.

Hoping I can figure it out. Thanks

2. HOPEICAN

HOPEICAN Active Member

Yes, that is the card I purchased. I didn't get an sd with it and am using a standard 2gb for now and it does work good on the 1.2U and also on a 1.4U DSi. I downloaded, extracted and installed files from Wood_R4iGold_V1.48 to the formated 2gb. Threw in a few roms and the grin on my face.

Now I have another DSi, that has the error which reads:( An error has occured. Press and hold the Power Button to turn the system off. Please see the Nintendo DSi Operations Manual for help troubleshooting. ) DSi powers on, charges, I can switch it to camera mode by using the L/R bumpers and take pics and save them with bumpers only. But once I tap ANY of the apps it goes right into the error screen.

I'm very new to the r4 world but I'm guessing the previous owner caused this error with a flashc ard that had the wrong firmware on it, I purchase a couple used dsi's and the errored one was like that. I have been trying to find a fix and just keep coming up with how it may have happened and still can't figure out how to get rid of the error.
    Post Merge: [time]1339848303[/time]
    Just a note, the DSi with the error already had the error before I even attempted using the cartridg on it, I just gave it a shot to see if it would do something after I had played a bit on the other working dsi.
    Post Merge: [time]1339848925[/time]
    I was just trying to see if the thread about the akaio would help fix the error. It's this thread: http://forum.romulation.net/index.php?topic=59387.0 The link that I tried to follow was actually posted by you to help the OP of that thread, it's this: http://www.dsflashcart.com/index.php?main_page=news_article&article_id=21

But that menu is completely different than the woods menu and I couldn't figure it out.

3. HOPEICAN

HOPEICAN Active Member

Thanks, I'm testing it out now. I actually was just following the directions on the thread and they are saying to use the NDSi file on the DSL. I wound up just using the DSL as it was on hand. I just finished the upgrade on the DSL and I'll go see what happens now on the errored DSi.
    Post Merge: [time]1339902039[/time]
    Looks like I can't figure out how to load the lower version to the DSi with the error message. I followed the directions exactly like in the link, and even used the 1.47 kernel. I'll try the 1.48 tomorrow to see if that makes a difference.

The DSL confirmed the update was successful and then I just intalled the flashcar d in the DSi with the error and it still gets the error message when I select any of the apps on the touch screen.

I can't select anything on the screen as any selection will turn the error message on and I have to shut down the dsi.
    Post Merge: [time]1339902719[/time]
    Decided to try the 1.48 and doesn't even want to update the patch on the DSL. So changed back to 1.47 and switched to the dsi that is still on version 1.4u to do another patch update. Put the r4 into the DSi with the error and still nothing. The card shows up as chronicles of narnia and as soon as I touch it to proceed it goes right to the error message. Am I doing something wrong?

4. HOPEICAN

HOPEICAN Active Member

OK, I have the 1.48 files on sd and also the R4iGold3DS_V144_Patch_NDSi.nds file. I insert cart into the DSL and select the Chronicles of Narnia, after I tap that I just get blank bottom screen and top screen says R4i Gold 3DS STARTING it stays like that for a long time and never changes. So I never get to the wood menu screen.

I'm going to delete just the NDSi patch file and instal the NDSL patch file instead.
    Post Merge: [time]1339934059[/time]
    Same thing with the R4iGold3DS_V144_Patch_NDSL.nds

When I select Chronicles of Narnia I get a blank bottom screen and top screen just says: R4i Gold 3DS Starting

I tried both patch files with the v1.48 files and both will not go into the wood menu.
    Post Merge: [time]1339934202[/time]
    I am going to remove the v1.48 files and install the v1.47 again and try both patches with 1.47 instead
    Post Merge: [time]1339935090[/time]
    I installed the _rpg folder and the DS_MENU.DAT file v1.47 to the TF. First I will try the R4iGold3DS_V144_Patch_NDSi.nds to see if my DSL will go into the wood menu. I will report back in a bit to see how this combination works.

OK, the v1.47 with the NDSi patch allowed me to get into the wood menu and chose the patch file there. I select patch file and proceed to update, remove the card and reinsert, then press A. What I get is a CARD CHECK Fail , after pressing A. Did it a few times to make sure and same FAIL. Press B and I get CARD TYPE: Fail

I will now replace the R4iGold3DS_V144_Patch_NDSi.nds with the other NDSL patch.
    Post Merge: [time]1339936213[/time]
    I am now using v1.47 with the R4iGold3DS_V144_Patch_NDSL.nds and so far so good. Card Check OK and it is upgrading and now finished with "Result Upgrading succeds"(spelled just like that) So now I believe card is updated.

I have been using my DS Lite to try and run the v1.48 update and could not get it to work. I tried both the patches, NDSL and NDSi, and neither would allow an update on my DSL, they would both say r4i starting and never started.

I have tried v1.47 on my DS Lite and could not get the NDSi update patch to run as it would fail.

I now have the v1.47 with the NDSL patch that I was able to run and update on the DSL. I am going to try now on the errored DSi to see what happens.
    Post Merge: [time]1339936559[/time]
    The only combination that I was able to update on my DSL does not get rid of the error message on the DSi.

Don't know if the new v1.48 is compatible with the patches that were put out to be used with the 1.47. Is there another set of patches that may be compatible with v1.48?
    Post Merge: [time]1339937846[/time]
    I tried to see if there was a fix on utube but haven't come across one yet. This is a short video of the same problem I'm having with my dsi: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vlln-6ZFBtM Any application causes the error to come up with or without a game cart..

5. HOPEICAN

HOPEICAN Active Member

Yes the R4i works on the DSL's, a few different ones actually, and on two different working dsi's in the family without changing anything on the cartridge. I believe it will even work on the 3ds but I did not try it since I don't plan on using the card in it.

I have formated the sd cards so many times that I even accidentally formatted the 16gb sd card were I had all my rom downloads on, now I have to wait for more points to build up to start all over again, I'm pissed. I have 14 different sd cards and 12 are brand new so can't be a sd card problem.

I have switched the 3ds r4i card between dsi and DSL many times today and always works the same on the working systems. It has something to do with the DSi that has the error, not sure if you had a chance to see that one on utube but mine is doing exactly the same thing. It's like it has a software problem that is stopping it from loading.

6. HOPEICAN

HOPEICAN Active Member

I'm thinking that since I updated the patch using v1.47 should I change it now to v1.48 by just replacing whatever files it takes to upgrade the kernel.

Or will the upgraded v1.48 kernel remove the updated patch, I guess it's worth a try when I get home.

7. HOPEICAN

HOPEICAN Active Member

I upgraded the rpg and the DAT file on the TF from v1.47 to the v1.48. I left the patch alone. I just intalled the R4i3DS with the TF, into a DSL and DSL will not load r4 menu. DSL will recognize the cart as The Chronicles of Narnia and as soon as I click it, bottom screen is blank black and top screen is black with white letters saying R4i Gold 3DS Starting, but never starts.

I am going to try the card on the DSi that is working to see what happens and report back.
    Post Merge: [time]1340028206[/time]
    The working DSi does the same exact thing as the DSL. It recognizes cartridge as Narnia and when I click it the screens are the same and says starting but never starts.

I will now try the DSi that has the error message.

8. HOPEICAN

HOPEICAN Active Member

I tried the cart on the DSi with the error and DSi recognizes the cart as Narnia also but as soon as I click app for Narnia DSi goes into this error message: An error has occurred. Press and hold the Power Button to turn the system off. Please see the Nintendo DSi Operations Manual for help troubleshooting.

It will stay on that error message until I push power button for a second then it goes back to the applications, but once again the error message comes on evertytime I select any of the applications. Even the SYSTEM SETTINGS app. goes into the error code.

I don't have a manual so I don't even know if the way to fix it is in it or not.
    Post Merge: [time]1340039905[/time]
    I feel like an idiot right now. I kept using v1.48 for the R4. I realized that and put in the R4iGold v1.48 and somehow I was able to go to the wood menu and also was able to click system settings without the error message. But I don't know how to store the patch on the dsi and when I took the cart out the error is there again. So, I'm doing something a little more right and hope I can get it going eventually.

If I can get to the wood menu on the DSi with the error what are the steps to get rid of the error permanently?
    Post Merge: [time]1340040541[/time]
    I can now run the update on the DSL using R4iGold v1.48 with the R4iGold3DS_V144_Patch_NDSi.nds

EDIT: This patch file finished updating on the DSL but I forgot to take cart out before I started the update so I redid it and made sure I took cart out before pressing A to start and it did not update this way but got a FAIL instead. Shouldn't the NDSL patch file be used if the update is being done on a DSL? And the NDSi patch file if using a DSi to do the update?

This newbie may just get it right, I HOPE

9. HOPEICAN

HOPEICAN Active Member

I have not been able to repeat what I did that made the dsi work temporarily. I thought I was on the right track since I was able to go into the wood menu, see pics in album, go into the system settings menu, etc etc BUT all went back to the error again. DSi picks up the card as Narnia but when I select it or anything else it goes back to the error.

I have followed this video as well today and I even did the same as the video by adding both patches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mm6V0SQtIE

The R4iGold works fine in the working DSi and the DSL's so it can't be the cart.

I'm ready to try an AceKard just to see if it does the same thing. Is the AceKard a completely different company? If it is I think I'm going to order one just to see if it will fix the error.