1. This forum is in read-only mode.

re-naming .nds files

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by neovo, Dec 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neovo

neovo Member

Had a look on FAQ but could not find the answer or maybe I'm thick, anyway my question I would like to ask is nearly all of my .nds games do not start with the title of the game but with numbers or the first word followed by an underscore and so on, what effect if any would there be if I changed the name of the file so it starts with the name of the game with no numbers , dashes or underscores. I use an R4 card
    I do not have a DS to hand to try this out myself as my 3 yr old dropped it on the kitchen floor so now it dose not work.
    Any help would be great.

2. vidjai

vidjai Member

I think notting will change all long it ends with .nds

3. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

You will have to rename any .SAV files associated with them as well. The NDS and corresponding SAV have to be the same name for the games to use them correctly.

4. neovo

neovo Member

Many thanks for you quick replies am I right in thinking that .sav file is just a saved file and not the game itself and if I did'nt keep it the game would still work, being new to this I am unsure.

5. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

When you play a ROM on an emulator or a flashcart, the emulator or flashcart creates a save file that holds all the saved game data for the game. Without the save file, you would lose all your saved games.

This file is usually created as GAME.SAV when your game is named GAME.NDS
    If you look on your MicroSD or in the save folder of your emulator you would see this:

1234_Some_NDS_Game.NDS
    1234_Some_NDS_Game.SAV

If you rename the NDS to SomeNDSGame.NDS then you need to rename the .SAV to SomeNDSGame.SAV as well.

6. neovo

neovo Member

Thank you TirithRR

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.