1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Re: Got an Idea

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by athran, Sep 5, 2009.

1. athran

athran New Member

i hope that the file size can be less so we can easily downloads in some shorter times
    its hard for me to downloads the games with only 5kbps T_T

2. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

That's nearly impossible for most games. The best option is to compress them (which RomU already does) in a zip or rar file, although it's still big as NDS games are larger in size.

There's no option but to get a better internet connection. Unless you just want to download NES roms which are incredibly small in size.

3. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

You want them cut up right?

Apparently-doing that takes more space on romulation.

I'd like to see the bigger games like the game cube one's being cut in half or quaters or something-but I doubt that's gonna happen...

What kind of net are you-wireless-cable-wireless braodband-or did you break your net speed like I did and got slowed for it?

4. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

It's not so much the diskspace, but the visual space as our system is not designed to take grouped files. So in the download list you'd have part01, part02, part03 etc.

5. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Just asking, what about linking it to just a kinda blank page with those download links?

In some megaupload links I clicked on-I was prsented a page with all the links stored.

Some were even on megaupload-hard to explain...

But still-having it as current format and having it link to a blank page with just download links-no need for visuals there.

Have it as the 'mirrors' and there you go-if not one or the other...

If it can't work..oh well-a better net I need it is :(

6. Seph

As I said, the system is not made to group file, so doing that just isn't possible. And I must admit that I'm not going to recode the entire core of the site so we can split up files. I know a lot of people also like that we have single files.

You can never please everyone, and this is 2009, so it's the minority that's still on 56k modems. We're not going to design the design for the smallest common denominator.

7. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Fair enough-I do prefer a single download but for some users (not just 56k-crap net speeders) it may assist in loss of bandwidth due to corruption.

Oh well-I'll stick to smaller downloads until I get something more stable.

8. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

No it won't, once you try to extract the files from .part01 .part02, .part03 or whatever and it comes out corrupted, there's no way of telling which is corrupted (I think... :|)

9. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

If they are split exactly then I would work them out.

I done so before-one file from another site had 1 mb missing.

Fixed there and then XD

But not for everyone...something about SVF some sites use apparently-but I have no idea how to use such a thing.

10. Seph

WinRAR will tell you exactly which archive is corrupt, 7zip won't. (last time I checked at least)

11. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

...your right

*looks for winrar again