1. This forum is in read-only mode.

RE: Fake R4

Discussion in 'General News' started by cmcal, Oct 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmcal

cmcal Member

Following from cjdogger post about fake R4's, does anyone have any other pictures for examples of fakes,

I dont know if mine is fake or not, it is a NDSL R4 it says "new edition" in the top right.

it apparently also supports 4gb sdhc cards.

Is this a fake? and will it harm my ds, because I've had it for a month now and every game has worked, no trouble.

Thanks and leave your thoughts.

Ps And it was bought of Amazon.co.uk

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

sounds fake to me I'm afraid.

3. n0thealthy

n0thealthy Well-Known Member

Yeah it's fake. I have one exactly like it. Fortunately, it's worked fine for me for a few months too, and it hasn't done damage to my DS, so you should be fine.

4. Loonylion

The fact that it hasn't yet is no indication that it won't. It is a lot more likely to than the real R4.

5. n0thealthy

Yeah, I edited my post. But, to be honest, I think the whole "fake R4 will brick your DS" is nothing more than scaremongering.

Feel free to prove me wrong. ;D

6. Loonylion

N5 has bricked a fair number of DS units.

7. n0thealthy

I'm talking about the R4 SDHC, which as far as i know, hasn't bricked any.

8. cmcal

cmcal Member

By bricking, i assume it means to destroy your Ds software, making it useless and a brick?

9. Loonylion

not exactly, it causes hardware damage by blowing a fuse somehow. If you subsequently replace the fuse the DS should work again.

10. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

Bricking could also mean screwing up the firmware of the DS, making it unable to turn on. Or perhaps it could turn on but not do anything.

11. Loonylion

the firmware should be in ROM and thus unalterable...

12. baldjared

baldjared Well-Known Member

One sure fire sign it's a fake is that it supports SDHC, any legitimate revision of the R4 won't, and considering they don't seem to be doing anything these days the R4 team probably won't ever end up making a version of the R4 that does support it.

Not totally true, the early DSes could be firmware bricked.

13. cmcal

cmcal Member

Thanks for all your posts and information, i am ordering a new R4 for my girlfriends brother so i willl avoid this one.

14. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Bricking can mean that the actual firmware of the DS is f'ed up and can't work, making it useless. Returning it to Nintendo with no real reason is pretty suspicious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.