1. This forum is in read-only mode.

RAR gremlin

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Madash, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Madash

Madash Member

Hi, I recently successfully downloaded some games, extracted them to NDS files and saved them to disc. Now I am opening a different disc with games previously downloaded from a different site as NDS games and somehow they have been converted to WinRAR files!! Please don't tell me I have to copy them all to Desktop and extract them all again?

2. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Don't just go by the Icon or what windows tries to open the file with.

What file extension do the files have? RAR, ZIP, NDS, BIN, ISO?

3. Madash

Madash Member

Extension files are RAR

4. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

What did you use to extract them-they should be nds files exter extraction, unless it's just winrar viewing them as winrar compatible files (it does that rarely, you can't see the file extensions unless you right click+properties)

5. Madash

Madash Member

On my disc the games come up as WinRAR Zip Archive. I downloaded the extraction from WinRAR site as listed on Support help page, and extracted them as per those instructions

6. TirithRR

You might have just burned the RAR files to disc instead of the NDS. Files burned to a CD can't change.

7. Madash

Madash Member

That's what I would've thought, but these were files originally downloaded as NDS files from a completely different website!
    Post Merge: [time]1269051520[/time]
    Would it have anything to do with WinRAR download expiring - free trial over?

8. TirithRR

Well, obviously they weren't, because files don't just magically change like that when they are burned onto an CD.

;)

9. Madash

Madash Member

Do you know of any way to convert them all to NDS without copying, extracting individually?

10. TirithRR

You don't have to copy them.

Put the CD in your Drive
    Browse the files on the CD.
    Highlight the files you want.
    Right click on them and hold.
    Drag the files to a folder on your computer and release the right mouse button.
    The right-click menu will appear in the new folder.
    Choose "Extract each archive to a separate folder"
    Or Choose "Extract Here" or "Extract..."

11. super_pastafari32

super_pastafari32 Well-Known Member

I don't get the point of this topic... the games works or not?
    if they works then what's the problem?, or is that the roms keep as rar damaged files?

12. Madash

Madash Member

Somehow my exisitng downloaded NDS games on disc converted to RAR files - they were originally downloaded as NDS and I hadn't touched them until after I had downloaded games from this site. Yes they still work, but I have to extract all over again and load on discs again - very time consuming!

13. TirithRR

Or just keep them as RARs on the disc and don't worry about it. It will save space and discs anyway.

(And I'm 100% certain that you are just mistaken and burned them as RAR in the first place, since files don't just change like that.)

14. super_pastafari32

super_pastafari32 Well-Known Member

well if you want my opinion... i don't believe it will wonna hapend again... why you don't just extract all and then burn another disc... and make sure of that the roms will go as NDS format and not RAR :)

he's right

15. KevInChester

KevInChester Well-Known Member

At some point between you extracting them originally and putting them on a disc, you have inadvertently compressed them again.

16. Madash

Madash Member

Thanks for all your feedback