1. This forum is in read-only mode.

RAM

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ZEGMAN, May 9, 2010.

1. ZEGMAN

ZEGMAN Active Member

I heard some FF7 music and it brought back some awesome memories.
    So I was thinking... The PS1 had 3.5MB of RAM. DS lites have 4MB, and DSi`s have16.
    Wouldn`t it just be so awesome if there was a PS1 emulator for flashcarts?
    The L2 and R2 buttons could be on the touch screen or something.
    The ONLY downside would be that the binary files for the ROMs would be like half a gigabyte. :O
    I would pour my heart into making this, and I do have a progamming background, but I wouldn`t know where to start...

2. timmy1991

timmy1991 Well-Known Member

I don't think it would work, I believe you need at least 10X's the performance of the emulated system for it to work right. And seeing how the Wii can barely emulate PS1, or even N64 games for that matter, I don't think any current version of the DS could do it...

but it is a cool idea

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

DS does not have anywhere near sufficient power to emulate PS1.

timmy there is no rule regarding how much more power you need.

4. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the PS1 had a dedicated graphics processor. And I'm pretty sure the DS doesn't. That alone is probably more than enough to make it impossible.
    If you want to compare consoles and handhelds, take a look at their respective wikipedia pages. They all list the Specs. RAM is important, but is not the most important thing.

5. ZEGMAN

ZEGMAN Active Member

Fair enough

6. Lukong

Lukong Well-Known Member

BUTTONS, but that is a very good Idea... for Sony...to get off there back sides and do... PS1P, maybe that could happen for 3DS
    Post Merge: [time]1273378128[/time]
    Not really think about the Windows phone and the Iphone and the psp