1. This forum is in read-only mode.

r4i stopped working after change of icon?

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by Zanate, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Zanate

Zanate New Member

Hi,
    I'm totally new in the r4i stuff, always bought games before but finally decided it's taking way too much money. So I got a r4i card and... actually it's kinda long story, sorry for me being noob, I just don't know what else I can do.

at first I uploaded totally random kernel on the SD card. I had the Spongebob icon then and when I tried to play it, it was just "Loading" screen and nothing else happened, so I thought something went bad. I cleaned the SD card, made a format and put the firmware I found at the site of my r4i: r4i3d.com - all three - kernel, update and... second update? No idea, maybe it was just some kind of patch - it was a *.nds file. Again Spongebob icon appeared and this time R4i menu started! But I was so stupid... that I run that *.nds file. It asked me if I want to update, I clicked yes and... Here's where the real trouble begins.
    The icon changed from Spongebob to Konami Digital Entertainment with alot of Japanese letters. No matter what I do now, how many times I format the SD card or try to change the kernel, I'm getting the info that "an error has occurred, hold the power button etc".

If that helps: My system is Nintendo 3DS 5.1.0-11, r4i comes from the website I mentioned before, it's the 2013 version.

Also... I can't put the r4i in any other system cause of one simply reason... I don't know anyone with DS other than me, so I'm looking for a way to solve that without another system.

Sorry for any grammar mistakes, english isn't my native language.

2. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

Your cart is from : http://www.r4i3d.com/index.htm?l=en_US ? Right? Well it does show it has support for v.5.1.0-11 (3DS) and v.1.45 (DSi).
    You're not suppose to random try kernels without first knowing if it's meant for your cart or not. Cause it could be fatal.
    But in your case, the issue lies with the console been upgraded to v.5.1.0-11, which for your info; the latest 3DS console's firmware upgrade blocks the use of flash cartridges. The good news is that your cart (if it is really the 2013's R4i3D as per stated by you) has an update for it to work on that firmware. The bad news is that because you'd upgraded your console to v.5.1.0-11, while your cart hasn't been installed with the latest update for it, well...you need to find/borrow someone's console that can still run your cart to perform the upgrading. You can't solve your issue without using another console that still can read your cart, else buy a new cart that has been pre-installed with the latest version to run on v.5.1.0-11.

3. Zanate

Zanate New Member

Actually it worked once, like I said, but after I run that *.nds file, the icon changed and all I get now is another icon and power off error. And yes, my cart is the 2013 version - at least it's what it's sticker says. Like I said, it appeared to work once - actually it's like it stopped working after an update that was meant to make it able to work with my system. Sadly when I try to downgrade it to the previous version it's just not working. So there's really no other way than putting it into another DS?

4. stephysanrio

stephysanrio Member

by upgrading the 2013 card you ACTUALLY downgraded it... theres no upgrade file for 2013 cards as they work DIRECTLY / AUTOMATICALLY with the latest 3ds version 5.1.0-11u

If you ran any update file at all you just really downgraded to a 2012 card by running the wrong firmware file. YOU ARE NOT suppose to use kernels nor update files that arent made for the card you own.
    The only way you will get it to work its with a ds and a ds lite ONLY. and with the 2012 kernel.

5. Zanate

Zanate New Member

Ok, I get it. Thank you both for your help :)