1. This forum is in read-only mode.

R4i SDHC Total Reboot

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Toes, Dec 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toes

Toes Member

Due to my impatience and total lack of understandable instructions, as well as zero knowledge of how flashcards actually work, I attempted to download the english kernel from the "official" r4ds.cn site, then copy it into the micro sd card in a crazed attempt to be able to play bowsers inside rpg.
    This ended up being a poor choice, and now the flashcard won't even start.
    It just goes white.
    Clever and cautious as I am, I did not think to back all the original files up.
    Am I screwed?
    Is there anyone who can direct me?
    I'm sick and tired of browsing through threads and going with trial and error.
    I've lost count of the updates and patches I've tried dling and my folders are looking really cluttered.

This is a cry for help.

Thank you.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

You must have put the wrong firmware on. This is not fatal, the cure is simply to find out which is the correct firmware and install it. Try the R4i SDHC kernel from www.linfoxdomain.com/nintendo/ds as this site has all firmwares for all flashcarts. When you have downloaded it, format the microsd card and extract the contents of the newly downloaded firmware onto it (if there is an 'english' folder at the top level of the the archive, you do not want the folder, only the contents of it).

3. Toes

Toes Member

Ok I've downloaded and formatted and copypastad, but unfortunately, to no avail
    What really would help would be to know exactly which files I need, ie which ones came gift wrapped with my micro sd card
    In the meantime I guess I'll just be going with trial and error, as I have multiple DS MENU files (as an example), and have completely lost track of which ones are which.

But I really appreciate the help nonetheless, thanks

4. klaimore

klaimore Well-Known Member

Extract the contents of the firmware before you put it on your MicroSD chip.

5. Toes

Toes Member

what, as in uncompress?
    or do you mean take the files out and put the in the corresponding folder
    that's pretty elementary
    I'm going to put together a list of system/ firmware related files, maybe that will clear up what I can delete and what I should keep

6. snebbers

snebbers Well-Known Member

Do you have any idea what firmware version you had on your chip before you tried to replace it with the new firmware?

7. Toes

Toes Member

the r4i sdhc comes with v 1.4 I believe
    but I might just be talking out of my ass here

8. klaimore

klaimore Well-Known Member

On your box that you got your R4, you have a website imprinted on it. Go to that website and download the latest kernel.
    If it is a .rar or zip file, extract the files using Winrar. Place all the files extracted from .rar/zip to your SD card.

9. Toes

Toes Member

just to clarify, I already have visited the sites mentioned, and downloaded the corresponding rar/zip files, I think the issue is that I need to delete a file or two, as I have multiples of some (EG. DS MENU)

10. snebbers

snebbers Well-Known Member

Well I was about to mention that if you had R4DS with v 1.23 (Which is a clone) then I would be able to help down to specifics... But v 1.4 isn't one of the clones I don't think..

Surely if you head onto that website download the file v 1.4 and completely format your SD card. Open up the folder that's be unzipped / unRar'd. Copy all the contents over.

I would think that all R4 cards run on the same principle. Seeing as though they are either the real one (which apparently has higher quality) or a clone (Which won't probably last as long..)

I'll try look for a guide... What's the website that is stated on the box? (Pm me it if you have to)

11. Toes

Toes Member

Thanks for the help guys, but I decided to go back to the store I purchased it in and ask them to reset everything, which worked out rather well.
    Thanks for your patience and help.

12. bigpoohbear

bigpoohbear New Member

How do we back up a micro sd, before formatting it?

13. danny4

danny4 Active Member

put the micro sd in the usb then connect to your pc then copy all of your game to your pc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.