1. This forum is in read-only mode.

R4i SDHC problem...

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by ichiroku, Jun 12, 2014.

1. ichiroku

ichiroku New Member

Hey guys,

I'm at a loss here. I just recently bought a R4i SDHC Dual-Core RTS 2014 edition for N3DS. It's the one from r4isdhc . com (sorry can't post links :( )
    It looks like a genuine one. It has the same code on the back and looks the same on the front as the pictures on their site.

Ok, so my problem is this.
    I had my own SD card, it says SD HC 16GB on the front. I formatted it to FAT32, downloaded the latest kernel from the website, put it on it, put a game in the root folder and started the R4 with my 3DS. I get into their menu, open the games tab, see my game in the list. I pressed A and I got a screen with some info on the top screen with some options on the right (unselectable, start is selected) and on the bottom screen I see where the game is located and an empty box and a power on box with a red circle on it. I can't press anything here, and can't get out of it unless I press Home or i touch the Power On button which then changes to Power Off and the red circle turns grey and then it tells me it went into sleep mode.

When I press Start when I selected the game in the menu, it gives me a different message. It tells me this:
    errcode=81, errcode=83
    SD card fragment error! Backup SD card, then perform full format with panasonic sd formatter.

it doesn't lock me in this screen, as i can click back. But i still can't select it.

The funny part is that MOONSHL2.NDS from the kernel does work, I can enter it just fine by pressing A when I selected it.

I tried formatting the SD card with Panasonic SD formatter V3.1 and V4.0. Both I used Quick format without Format Size adjustment and I used Full Format (overwrite) and with Format Size adjustment. I tried formatting it with Windows Disk Management, I tried formatting it with easUS Partition Manager. Neither of them work.

I saw on a site where you can buy them a link to the Firmware. it contained _rpg and _DS_MENU.DAT. the kernel didn't contain these, so I thought I'd copy them on their together with the Kernel files and a game (after a format) and the result was the same.

I have tried a lot as you can see above, is there anything I'm missing? Am I using a clone card? It looks exactly like the picture on their site, even the codes on the back and front are the same.

My 3DS XL has firmware version 7.2.0-17E, but both the site I bought it from and the site from the cart itself say it should work with this version. I am at loss here :(.

Hope you can help me!

Yours faithfully,
    Ichiroku.

2. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

Simply put; Your flash cartridge is blocked from being used on that 3DS v.7.2. You need to install the cartridge's firmware using older NDS console or at least a 3DS that's running max. v.4.5. Else not usable.

3. ichiroku

ichiroku New Member

I've got a very old NDS lying around, can I use it on there? if so what should I do exactly? (it's one of the first NDS version around, it says MODEL NO. NTR-001 on the back)

4. Prectorian

Of cause you can. Basically download the latest firmware for that cartridge from it's official website (make sure there stated will work on at least v.7.xx), backup and full format the SD Micro, do the flash cartridge installation as instructed by the website using that old NDS console (make sure the console's battery is full), and if all goes well it'll be usable on your 3DS. If the official site doesn't list an update for it to work on v.7.xx then you'll either have to wait until they release it before doing those steps, or buy a cartridge that already has update to work on that v.7.xx.

5. ichiroku

ichiroku New Member

sorry if im being a nuisance, but I can't find the firmware download. When I go to the site, click on R4 downloads, select the r4 sdhc dual core white 2014 download, it only gives me a list of kernel downloads, the firmware section is empty for me. would you know of any place where I can download this firmware?

Edit: So I think i broke it. It gives me an error when I open the flashcart. I'm done with this thing, I'm gonna go and look for a better card to buy.

Does anyone know what the best 3DS flashcard is? I have a European 3DS XL with firmware 7.2.0-17E on it. I don't mind buying a card that needs some updating of some sorts, aslong as it's well documented on their main site (if it works out of the box, that's fine too). I'm just gonna go ahead and buy a delivered SD card with it, so that I don't have much trouble like this one.

I heard gateway is good, but can it run on my 3DS? is the R4i Gold deluxe edition any good? I have no clue in this thing, I would be very happy if anyone could help me :)

6. Prectorian

You downloaded this? (Assuming that is your cartridge from that website.)

[​IMG]

And when you extract it, you see:
    1. R4iMenu
    2. moonshl2
    3. moonmemo
    4. R4.dat

Right? I'm not sure how you define broken. But do try again just in case it might help. Well, try full formatting your SD Micro using Panasonic SD Formatter (Google Search, it's free). Then you add those 4 files into your SD Micro. Now run it on your old NDS console. If an installation is needed, do so. Else try playing a game on it. An NDS game! Not 3DS game! That cart is not for playing 3DS rom. If it still doesn't work/play the .NDS game rom. Then yes, you'd blown it off the wall. Buy some other cartridge, such as the SuperCard DSTwo or R4i Gold 3DS.

Now to answer your questions:

As I've mentioned in the above, get either the SuperCard DSTwo or R4i Gold 3DS (from r4ids . cn or r4idsn . com). Again these are for you to play .NDS game rom NOT .3DS game rom!

Forget those, you can't use any of them. Those are for playing .3DS game rom, however your 3DS is running v.7.2.0-17 firmware. Those cartridges can only be use if your 3DS is running v.4.1.0 or maximum v.4.5.0. Anything above that firmware version, won't be compatible.

So if you want to play 3DS games, buy original to play on your v.7.2.0 3DS console. Or trade in your 3DS console for one that is running maximum v.4.5.0 firmware so that you can use a 3DS rom flash cartridge such as the Gateway 3DS or R4i 3DS Gold Deluxe or MT-Card.

7. Linda1121

Linda1121 Member

Yes, if you want to buy other flashcart, DStwo (supercard.sc) and r4i gold 3ds rts (r4ids.cn) are all good. They can support NDS games on your 3DS XL v7.2.0-17E.
    Gateway and r4i gold 3ds deluxe edition are 3DS flashcart, only work on 3DS/3DS XL v4.1-v4.5, can't work on v7.2.0-17 currently.