1. This forum is in read-only mode.

R4i SDHC 3DS and DS 4.5.0-10u... Am I Bricked?

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by evilryan, Jan 2, 2013.

1. evilryan

evilryan New Member

First of all, I'm a noob. I just got 2 r4i sdhc 3ds cards (silver package) for a 3ds xl. I started off by formatting the flash card (fat32), downloaded the latest kernal from r4isdhc.com, copied it to the flash card and started the 3ds. The card was recognized as "sponge bob" and when clicking it says "an error has occurred... power off...". I guess I was naive thinking it would be that simple. I checked the ds version and it's 4.5.0-10u. My kids play it often and I'm sure they upgraded it without knowing. The kernal download (r4isdhc.com/download_silver_new/) says it works for this version. I tried the firmware upgrade (downloaded a file "4.5_1.45fwUpdate_V5.06.nds" and copied it to the root of the card) but still same result.

I see posts that say you can brick the card if you do things in the wrong order. I am bricked? Is there anything I can do with these cards? or do I need to get another card now?

Thanks for any help

2. funguy

funguy Well-Known Member

You copied the update file to the root of your card, and did you run the file?

3. evilryan

evilryan New Member

I downloaded and extracted "4.5_1.45fwUpdate_V5.06.nds", copied it to the flash card and the sponge bob game shows up again (and errors out when running it). Not sure if that is the right way to run it.

4. funguy

funguy Well-Known Member

Select it as you would a rom and let it run, if the update is successful or fails you're usually given a message to say which.

5. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

you need to update the flashcarts on a DS or non-updated dsi/3ds. The carts won't work on your 3ds without updating, so you cannot update them using that console.

6. evilryan

evilryan New Member

How do I select it as I would a rom? After inserting the card the sponge bob game shows up. Is that what I should be running?

7. funguy

funguy Well-Known Member

Are you trying to update it on the console which is giving you the error message?

8. evilryan

evilryan New Member

ok, so if I can get ahold of a DS or 3ds with older system version I would be able to run the "4.5_1.45fwUpdate_V5.06.nds" file and then it would be playable on version 4.5.0-10u?
    Post Merge: [time]1357160229[/time]
    yes, all I have are the 2 3ds xls that are both running 4.5.0-10u.
    Post Merge: [time]1357164967[/time]
    Is there a way to downgrade the 3DS I have to get this to work?

9. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

thats the idea.

No. console updates are irreversible.

10. hunnybeanz

hunnybeanz New Member

OP, was this resolved?
    We are having the same problem, same error message etc.
    We've run the ROM / FW upgrade on old DS, and it appears to be stuck now, screen says upgrade firmware......... erasing device
    and nothing's happening :/
    If we turn it off, is it going to break?
    Help would be appreciated! Noob needs help! LOL!